VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi the passengers door mirror on my van is really poor it only covers a small bit of the road, drivers side is better, are they all like this or has someone fitted a copy() mirror in the past

·
Registered
356 Posts
Here's a genuine VW pair just taken out so I can service the swivel mechanisms.

Driver's appears slightly more convex in one plane but reckon that is just wear.

And just about identical in the other plane

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do the mirrors just pop out? One of mine just shows me the sky after going over a bump :-(

Does anyone know where I can get a passenger side cover for the mirror (the triangular bit of plastic) can only find sprinter ones (which are slightly different I think).

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you press the bottom part of the mirror inwards so top is sticking outwards, then get a grip with fingers or thumbs flat against the mirror and slide mirror upwards, can be a bit tight so need a good grip

·
Registered
356 Posts
Let you know if I find the plastics.

Yeah, tilt mirror bottom in, top out. If you can, slide fingers underneath the bottom of the mirror and lift. One I had to prise up with a thin, wide wood slat. Swivel mech is all behind that - star key and sprung loaded ball.

·
Registered
138 Posts
bigvanfan, it sounds like the mirror arm is not fully out, it will snap into position if you move it, i have electric ones on mine but the area covered should still be the same with the arm in the right place, you should be able to see all the road plus a bit of van, or all road if you want, beware of the blind spot that you can get just backand out from the b pillar

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a genuine VW pair just taken out so I can service the swivel mechanisms.

Driver's appears slightly more convex in one plane but reckon that is just wear.

And just about identical in the other plane

Thanks for that,I'll order a new one and see how it is, can't see vw signing off as poor a mirror as that!

·
Registered
356 Posts
bigvanfan, it sounds like the mirror arm is not fully out, it will snap into position if you move it, i have electric ones on mine but the area covered should still be the same with the arm in the right place, you should be able to see all the road plus a bit of van, or all road if you want, beware of the blind spot that you can get just backand out from the b pillar

There's another star head under the bottom mirror arm which locates to the top arm and tightens the in-out movement. The serrated seatings on this can really rust up and stop you being able to pan the mirror. Give it a good soak and you should be able to get it loosened up.

Word of warning though - if you release it fully to take the whole assembly off and service on the bench, the star bolt won't clear the door panel. You've got to slacken off the three mirror assembly bolts which are behind the interior upper door panel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's another star head under the bottom mirror arm which locates to the top arm and tightens the in-out movement. The serrated seatings on this can really rust up and stop you being able to pan the mirror. Give it a good soak and you should be able to get it loosened up.

Word of warning though - if you release it fully to take the whole assembly off and service on the bench, the star bolt won't clear the door panel. You've got to slacken off the three mirror assembly bolts which are behind the interior upper door panel.
Cheers guys, the arm is fully out, that's not the problem, the mirror is set with just the rear corner of the van visible but this just gives a small section of the road visable, it's impossible to reverse a trailer with it, if it's just my van I'll get a new vw mirror

·
Registered
138 Posts
not sure if still available,but worth fitting if you can get one, mercedes did a little mirror that fitted to the top of the mirror housing, these were the width of the van mirror and about a couple of inches high, they screwed in to the top of the housing, very usefull if you towed a trailer, they are standard now on the crafters and new sprinters but are built into the housing at the bottom, a blessing when i had the car trailer on

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, fitted new genuine mirror glass and its a lot better, as suspected it was a cheap glass that was fitted, thanks for the advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts