VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So admittedly I didn't really know what I was looking at or for when seeing the van but she drove ok, was nicely converted and the guy seemed genuine with genuine reasons for sale.

First problem - put the wife in the passenger seat and the seatbelt doesn't catch. Figured out that if you go wiggle wiggle WHAM it works fine, and I'll get round to finding a new catch at some point. Next problem - car coming straight at me and - hang on:eek: - err.....no horn. Hmm.

Other than that no problems until the cold snap when the slave cylinder cracked - turns out the clutch fluid is filthy black so maybe the water in it had frozen and cracked it? Local garage fixed it no problem but noticed that the cam belt was loose. By now I'm looking at the forum and my friends all said it's just something that needs to be done. So I got the cam belt and water pump changed. All good. :)

Even changed the oil and filter myself - followed the brilliant how to on here, right down to the bit where you realise you haven't got the right socket to get the old filter off. Only with me the filter came off with a pipe attached. I'd attempted this on a friday morning after been at work all night. Oil all over the place, walking down the road to the local garage to get help removing the pipe from the old filter and my trousers start falling down. Get that sinking feeling of starting a job you wish you hadn't. :blg

Now the other day I notice the temperature gauge climb to about three quaters when in a bit of traffic. Get home and the radiator fans aren't going. Took it out for a test drive today and noticed a bulge in the off side rear. Swung by the garage to ask about the fans - looks like the fusses that you find above the headlights have blown. Will be booked in to investigate in a couple of weeks.

Go to swap the tire - turns out the wheels and tires are rated wrong for the van. The tires themselves are only rated to 2.4 tonne which is the van weight empty.

So...I need a set of steel wheels (ones that the van came with are audi alloys), a seatbelt catch and a stiff drink before the radiator fans are looked at. Then wait for the next problem to turn up :(

The garage think I should take it further with the original seller who has sold me the van with wheels that are potentialy dangerous. Not least the van I've got is clearly doesn't match up with the story he spun me when I bought it. Live and learn I guess! :*:*

·
Registered
97 Posts
was it private sale or garage? dont think you'll get much joy going back to the owner mate he'll play the goat mate and say sold as seen, just keep fightin the good fight it'll be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
378 Posts
thats the problem buying used motors. just persevere with it and put it right to your standards. could be a lot worse as some on here have found.
good luckT:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
No, they're not all that much trouble, the thing is, it's never enough to just take someone's word only when buying any used vehicle, good luck...:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it for a reasonable price, certainly less than I was prepared to pay for it so I guess a little time effort and cash will be needed to get up and running properly. The guy in the garage is helping loads too, evening offering to show me how to do the simple stuff rather than charging me to do it himself - next project is going to be to change the vacuum pump.

Before then I need to get some wheels though I:

Going to get it resprayed and the rust treated too before the summer...the wife's enjoying thinking of what colour she wants!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't fret mate. It happens to the most careful (alledgedly I: )of us, as I've just learnt to my great cost.

Bought a Citroen Picasso off a Pole privately 4 weeks ago.
I knew it had a bump on the n/s front, as the wrong coloured replacement 2nd hand wing was on it, and the bumper was split.
Couldn't produce the whole of the V5 as he'd apparently 'lost' the important half with all the details on it.
No problem though, as the 2nd half allows you to apply for a replacement free of charge.

This arrives after a couple of weeks, to disclose that the car is on the right off register as a cat. 'c'.:eek:
Since then, the engine management light has come on, air bag light, and now fimnally the ABS light came on yesterday.

Dashboard now resembles a christmas tree on full blast.

The car last night,has been taken to the local car auction where I fully expect to lose approx £600.
Waste of time contacting the Pole, as all of a sudden, he won't be able to understand what I'm actually saying.:mad:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the money skip AKA- T4's. hahaha. they take some money to put right and hey, They are used vehicles and not exactly new.
I've just snapped the gear shifter on mine and the clutch is playing up. Think I've got air in the system. Hopefully its not the master cylinder that's gone.
thats Pretty C.J!!!!!!!! did you go to his place when you looked and bought the picasso? If you did, Go report it to the old bill.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The fuses for the radiators are only about 50p each from VW, swapped a few out for people and they've never blown again. Only need to undo 4 screws to fit them. Promise it will be easier than the oil change and for a £1 that's a good job done.

To be honest with any used car there will be things that have been bodged, or not done when they should have been but with Campers there worth doing and getting the van right. Once you've got the van at the standard you want it, just keep on top of the regular little jobs and you'll realise they're not much hassle and unlike modern cars, you can learn to do most of it yourself. Especially with resources like this site. Next sunny weekend when you're away in the van you'll forgive it all these little issues.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I'll second you on that one David.T:
Where's that sunshine of the summer.........I:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Don't fret mate. It happens to the most careful (alledgedly I: )of us, as I've just learnt to my great cost.

Bought a Citroen Picasso off a Pole privately 4 weeks ago.
I knew it had a bump on the n/s front, as the wrong coloured replacement 2nd hand wing was on it, and the bumper was split.
Couldn't produce the whole of the V5 as he'd apparently 'lost' the important half with all the details on it.
No problem though, as the 2nd half allows you to apply for a replacement free of charge.

This arrives after a couple of weeks, to disclose that the car is on the right off register as a cat. 'c'.:eek:
Since then, the engine management light has come on, air bag light, and now fimnally the ABS light came on yesterday.

Dashboard now resembles a christmas tree on full blast.

The car last night,has been taken to the local car auction where I fully expect to lose approx £600.
Waste of time contacting the Pole, as all of a sudden, he won't be able to understand what I'm actually saying.:mad:
Does the fact that the chap was polish have a bearing, or was it your own stupidity that's the major issue here I:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Think I'd just ha a t*ts full this weekend, especially once the exhaust of my car fell off....missed a decent surf too :(

Might change the fuses, but surely something must be up for them to have blown in the first place...?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the money skip AKA- T4's. hahaha. they take some money to put right and hey, They are used vehicles and not exactly new.
I've just snapped the gear shifter on mine and the clutch is playing up. Think I've got air in the system. Hopefully its not the master cylinder that's gone.
thats Pretty C.J!!!!!!!! did you go to his place when you looked and bought the picasso? If you did, Go report it to the old bill.
Yup. Went to his house, drove it, inspected it etc etc, and I was happy with the greatly reduced price he was asking...after a bit of 'chipping'.
Unfortunately, I commited the imortal sin...should have known better...of not insisting on seeing the FULL V5 berfore purchase.
Took this blokes word for it as he seemed a decent enough sort of person, but whoa, it just goes to show. DO NOT trust ANYONE on their word, as they have a motive for not telling the whole story quite often, as I have now found out to my cost.

Total waste of time going to rant at him , as it was a private sale.
Precious little protection in law against such deals unforunately.
You live and learn sometimes, THE HARD WAY.
Totally inexcuseable, and I SHOULD have known much much better.:mad:

Could have been worse I suppose, as we could be talking thousands here.

ALL 2nd cars, refardless of make or model, are potentiallly cans of worms, bottomless pits, and time bombs, especially purchased privately.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Like I say with fuses, I've changed a few sets. Always planning to change them 1st and if they re blow check out why but never had a set blow again. As you look into the engine bay, at the top of the radiator on the left is a multi plug for the fans. Once you've changed the fuses remove this plug, there are 3 connectors. One live and one to each of the fans. Touching 2 pins together ie the live and the one for the relevant fan (you'll work out which one is live as touching the other 2 together won't do anything) will cause the fan to turn so you can easily test if all is OK. Or if one is blowing which one. The fans are a two stage setup with one or both kicking in depending on how hot the engine is.

looking at your van, the lack of a vent in the front wing makes me guess it's somewhere between 1992 and 1996 so at 14 years old the list of faults, while annoying aren't too bad. At least you paid a price that reflects what you need to do. My camper had no history with it when I bought it so I just did most of the stuff regardless so I knew where I was. Now I'd trust it to take me anywhere and had fantastic times in Italy, Spain, Monico, all over France, over the Alps etc and regullary do 3000 miles over a few weeks trip. Yes it needs regular wear and tear jobs like exhausts, brake pads and disks etc and oil changes but so do all cars new or old. The difference is when I need to change disks and pads the parts cost under £50 and I can fit myself using basic tools after reading the how to's on here. Swapping the cambelt every 5 years is the only job I farm out. You need a decent sized socket set but everything really is straight forward on these older vans. The only MOT advisory I've had was worn anti roll bar links (£12 and a mornings work to swap)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I think that if these are all of your problems that you should be pleased. I can not see what year your bus is but I am assuming that its probably around 15 years old and if its anything like mine its probably done well over 100k miles. Your issues sound like fairly small jobs and once you have worked your way through them and done a few camping trips the love affair with the bus will begin and you wont hear a bad word said about her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep it's a 93 and it's done 125K - it came in at £1K under what we were going to pay for it, and on reflection this isn't even as much as we've shelled out for it so far! Swivel base has arrived today which is next after I get some wheels then we should be getting somehwere, thanks all for words of encouragement!

A:T:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The swivel base transform the inside of a hightop. If you're gonna get a new seat belt receiver worth looking for one of the ones on a cable. That way it can drop out of the way when you want to swivel the seat. Mine was originally a solid one and you had to loosen it slightly so it could be dropped down, but then tightened every year for the MOT

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just get all the wee jobs done and you'll be chuffed to fup with it. It looks a cracking wee camper. Go enjoy! T:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts