VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my sportline front tyres have lasted 10k miles :( ATS have recommended some Hankook tyres as replacements. I mentioned that I thought the tyres had worn quickly because the van has been lowered and the camber is now wrong. For £397 the will fit 2new tyres and put the van on a 4wheel alignment jig and adjust the camber. I thought it couldn't be adjusted :*

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thats a lot of dosh!!
Check Britannia Tyres; i have one in cov & have never found anywhere cheaper.
Also if the van is lowered - the alignment rules need to be applied differently; there is a thread on here somewhere - Southam Tyres iirc were reported to do a good (proper) job after lowering - there may well be others out there

As above - i wouldnt use ATS either T:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
think your all missing the point,
can the front camber be adjusted

·
Registered
590 Posts
From what I am aware the camber or alignment can be done but it needs to go more hence people on here buying the new polly adjustable bushes.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'd be very interested to know how they are going to adjust the camber & can't believe for one second ATS, or any of the other well known tyre places for that matter, would have the facilites or expert staff to adjust your T5's wheel camber.

Depending upon how much you've lowered your van I don't believe it would wear out your tyres that quick. My van is lowered by 40mm & I not yet experianced any wear problems as a result of this lowering. I could well be wrong as I'm no suspension expert, but ........... !

I would also question the accuracy of any tyre places laser alignment equipment too. From experiance doing tracking, castor, camber, toe-in, etc on cars for the track by far the most accurate method is string & a steel ruler. You can set up laser alignment equipment, set up a car, put it back in it's storage box very carefully & the next time you use it it MUST be re-zeroed.
There is no way ATS or any of the others treat their laser equipment as carefully as you or I would & hence no way it is as accurate as they would all have us believe.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would also question the accuracy of any tyre places laser alignment equipment too. From experiance doing tracking, castor, camber, toe-in, etc on cars for the track by far the most accurate method is string & a steel ruler.
I was at the BTCC at Thruxton last year and while chatting with Sam Tordoff I noticed that they were using the string method on his (and Plato's) car.

The only time I've ever had my car set up on the laser alignment it chewed through my new tyres in about 3 months; never again.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Don't get me wrong, laser equipment can be very accurate & easy to use, but it MUST be set-up before being used, using ACCURATE targets. This should be done each time it is used & tyre garages simply do not have time or the inclination to do this. Most tyre fitters I guess, sorry if there are any "proper" ones on here I:, just expect because it is a laser gauge it must be very accurate & that simply is not the case.

All road vehicles tracking/camber/castor/etc are set to quite broad limits, which is perfectly adequate for the road & you can get two cars exactly the same, but with set-ups at the opposite ends of the manufacturer's limits & you would never be able to tell any difference. This is why tyre garages can get away with their in-accurate laser tooling, but charge a premium for using it.

The string method never fails & is highly accurate. By the time you've set-up any laser gauges correctly & accurately you could have done the job with the string.
You could quite easily be looking at a whole day to correctly measure & adjust a vehicle's set-up, but can you imagine how much that would cost & to be honest you, & I include myself, would never be able to tell any difference providing it's within the manufacturer's limits.

·
Premium Member
6,381 Posts
What size Hankooks? I use 255/45R18 and I wore out my first set of rear Contis in about 9000 miles when the van was lowered and aligned with gauges. I paid £459 for the local VW dealership to fit new rear Hankook K110s and realign the van. It feels very different to drive now as it was mainly toe that was out. The front contis have lasted 14000 but they're being replaced tomorrow for £366. The on line prices suggest I could buy the tyre for £308 a pair but not fitted. I didn't argue with the local tyre depot as they are convient and I've got more important things to worry about.

I gave up on Black Circles and My Tyres as there were large delays in my last order so having a bloke next to work do the job makes it all a lot easier.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info fellas. I know ATS are probably spanner monkeys but my local one has always looked after me, unlike kwik fit who are rip off merchants. It was more a question of whether they could adjust the camber or not. The cost of the tyres is the same as I can get them off various internet companies but as they're round the corner that's worth a couple of quid in my book if I get any problems. The wear on the tyre's is absolutely even so I'm guessing it's a combination of soft compound on the conti sports that are fitted by VW and my heavy right foot LOL:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts