VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the longer term effects of changing to a larger than standard tyre like a BFG or Grabber at either 225/70/16 or 235/70/16? My current tyres are 215/65/16.

Apart from the obvious change to gearing ratios tyre in pulling away and general driving, I'm concerned that moving to a larger diametre tyre will have a long term effect on the DSG gearbox - something I really want to avoid!

So before I go buy some stupidly large tyres and blow my box, if anyone has any first hand experience they'd like to share it would be most appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,222 Posts
Changing the inertia of the wheel could affect the dynamics of the system if you have a habit of doing full bore standing starts or, when you hit a pothole/level crossing/ bump you decide to mash the accelerator and deliberately make the wheels skip off the ground and spin up.... but if you are a sensible driver and believe the wheels should maintain adhesion to the black stuff then you really cant do much to upset it.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,307 Posts
There may also be a more immediate issue if you go with much larger tyres, as there is only a limited tolerance before the box detects a mismatch between "expected" (i.e. factory fitted) wheel/tyre size and actual. It's relatively simple to recode, but you may get engine limp mode if that's not done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run 275/40/20 tyres which are a bit bigger than the stock size. I changed my speedo calibration so it read correctly but that then meant the gear changes points were too short. It would change into 7th at 50mph and that was too high a gear with the bigger wheels. If you are going full swamper you'll want the speedo set to Polo to get an accurate speedo however you'll be constantly frustrated at the gear changes. Worth mentioning DMF damage occurs when you labour an engine.

Either get a DSG remap or put up with the speedo undererading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts