VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed my 18" RS4 replica alloy wheels, replacing them with steel wheels for winter, however I have noticed the load stamp on the wheels I removed is 675KG.

I understand the load rating for a T30 174 requires wheels to be rated at least at 813KG. Is this correct?

Can anybody advise what else these will fit as it appears I may have to sell them on and raise funds for a suitably load rated set.

This is what is stamped on the wheels;
675KG
ET 35
18 x 8J

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
you can pick Range Rover wheels quite cheap,but you would need a fitting kit,

but they will be load rated enough for your bus,675kg isnt even enough for a T26 never mind a T30.

good job you spotted it before you put back on,because if the worst happened and you had a crash your insurance would be null

and void for having insuffiecent load capacity wheels and maybe even tyres,all have load ratings on them,

also doesnt matter if you never carry a load,it still has to be right

there are lots of people and companys out there selling wheels and saying "T5 FITMENT",

which doesnt make any sense because they are under rated,

best to do you home work first and ask all the right questions.its a minefield out there.

best to be safe then sorry though.

and a happy new year too.*<:)>*<:)>

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys yes its a pain having wheels I can't use. Is there anyway of finding out what else uses the "T5 fitment" as I need to sell them on :(

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
ebay them ,Try not top go for replica's either if funds permit T:

Banded steels is the way forward :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that buggygirl at least I may be able to move them on.

Dave, yes I'll get them on ebay. Is there any reason you advise to stay away from replica wheels?

mabozzar, sorry I dont know about the T4 but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to advise.

PS if anybody is looking for some Audi RS4 style 18" wheels for a BMW I know where you can get some I:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought banded wheels were no longer legal either? (i.e. not allowed for an MoT, assumed they are noticed) Can anyone correct that for me?
We used to swear by them years ago on Type 1 and buggies etc
Desert racers all prefer a rim that can be bashed back into shape. So if you couldn't afford spun alloys you'd get someone to cut the rim off your steelies then weld a hoop of steel and your rim back on. Those looks soon transferred to the street scene. But I thought they had been outlawed years ago?

This thread is about wheels that are 100% legal with no grief at MoT time, or (god forbid) by a VOSA inspection.
I would be fascinated to know if any of the wheel adapters or spacers are 'legal' and what about wobble bolts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought banded wheels were no longer legal either? (i.e. not allowed for an MoT, assumed they are noticed) Can anyone correct that for me?
We used to swear by them years ago on Type 1 and buggies etc
Desert racers all prefer a rim that can be bashed back into shape. So if you couldn't afford spun alloys you'd get someone to cut the rim off your steelies then weld a hoop of steel and your rim back on. Hitting a rock wasn't going to shatter or crack your rims and end your race. Those looks soon transferred to the street scene. But I thought VOSA had outlawed them years ago?

This thread is about wheels that are 100% legal with no grief at MoT time, or (god forbid) by a VOSA inspection.
I would be fascinated to know if any of the wheel adapters or spacers are 'legal' and what about wobble bolts?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Surely the load rating is per corner so add the four together for the overall load rating.
That would be ok but most vans the rear axle wieght is higher than the front so i'm lead to believe your better to half the rear axle. Theres an earlier thread that gives all the axle weights for all the T5's

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i only say steer away from replicas as ive had two break ,one was a multi fit and the stud holes cracked into the next hole ,and i has rs8's on my t4 hit a small pothole it really was small and a chunk of my alloy broke out ! the wheels were bought new by me from a vw show some time ago :ILU:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for that buggygirl at least I may be able to move them on.

Dave, yes I'll get them on ebay. Is there any reason you advise to stay away from replica wheels?

mabozzar, sorry I dont know about the T4 but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to advise.

PS if anybody is looking for some Audi RS4 style 18" wheels for a BMW I know where you can get some I:
Give Merseyspeed a ring, Alex knows what he's talking about. Wheelbasealloys had a good range but only a couple load rated for T32 when I was looking, but you might be ok for a T30. I'd play safe and go on half the rear axel weight, as Mark says.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
At the end of the day guys i think it's best speaking to people who know i've had problems in the past on other vehicles that i've bought alloys for and at the end of the day you may think you are getting a good deal but all the want to do is sell you some alloys and will say what you want to hear. I'm in the market for a new set at the moment and until i've spoken to Alex about what he has as his main work is with T5's speak to the pro's spend right and only once.T:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your tips, advice and comments. Its good that no harm came from driving on these but will have to see how funds go for some replacements come the spring. Quite like the look of some of the range rover wheels.

Cheers all :cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts