VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Any known issues with fitting side bars to a shuttle? I have an 04 plate. I had a look underneath and cant see anything I would call pre-drilled or anything? Looking at genuine side bards.....any comments/feedback please.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
The genuine side bars have brackets which go into pre-existing holes with clips which provide the captive fastening. Hard to explain but when you see them it makes sense. I removed bars from my kombi which should be same underneath as shuttle.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume this is the underside.....There is all black plastic coverings on mine, so just trying to gauge what I am looking at.......Sorry to sound a bit thick! Or is this screw part of the kit, that becomes the hanger for the bar.....?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi - ok that makes sense and saw an install video for a competitor product etc.....However....

Any shuttle or caravelle owners done this? As there is black plastic trim along both sides of my chassis, so I assume this needs drilling out to allow for the screw that becomes the hanger to connect to.....Anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The holes are not behind the black trim. They are next to it and covered by rubber grommets which will have been over sprayed with paint. Look closely and you will see them. I'm about to remove mine for attaching bars.

It gob smacks me why any after market side bar would ever have a different type of fixing. My current ones attach to different points on the van, without the need to drill holes, but they are then in the way of the jacking points....

Stupid.

Surely it's far easier to just use the originals rather than work out and where else to fix them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts