VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,looking at getting a t5,but there seems to be a lot of repair posts on the forum!!!!
did have a low miles 03 t4 and it seemed pretty bomb proof.
the t5 would be a basic 84 or 104 kinda model panel van to do a conversion on.
anyone had any major issues with these models or it just the fact that vw have sold so many that there are a few bad eggs about???
any help appreciated guys
gaz

·
Super Moderator
9,193 Posts
cant comment on the 104 but my repair costs have come as a bit of a surprise:eek: you sometimes appear to need deep pockets to run one but then they not all the same good luck on yoursT:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply dude
i must say,looking thru the threads,am getting a tad worried!!!
almost seems that vw have shaved the budget on the t5!
having said thet i know 3 people with the 104,the 130 and the 174 and theyve had no worries at all.
would get another late t4 but they are getting rare with low miles.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
They are good in many ways but not as reliable as thier predesessor
Things i dont like about them are the front doors are far too big and heavy so carparks are a problem compared to the T4,gearbox and driveshaft failure is common,wiper mechanism is feeble,5cylinder engine is a nightmare to work on and very unreliable and expensive to maintain,plagued with electrical niggles(too complicated),expensive to lower,need minimum 20" alloys to fill the arches,nose looks like a bulldog .
Things i do like about them they drive like a modern car not like a van,sunglasses holder in the roof,clutch replacement is easier than the T4,brakes are keen,in dash gearshift,cup holders,1.9TDI is better than the 2.5TDI although not as powerfull obvisiously.
I reckon the T5.1 will be a better van than the T5 even though its only a facelift they have dropped the 5 cylinder motor and replaced it with a 2.0 TDI common rail T: the best move VW ever made with the T5.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a 1.9tdi as a works van until 2 weeks ago ( Boss sold it whilst I was on holiday:()
I did 80000 miles in 2 years with no problems. Always driven sensibly mind.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fella.
the t5 to me seems a better drive than the the t4,its just i dont want the repair bills that could possibly arise with the more complicated t5.(well nobody does!!)
will see how it goes i guess but seems common probs can be drive train/shafts/clutch etc.
mind you ive had those probs with my 130bhp passat and wouldnt part with that !!
thanks again
g

·
Super Moderator
9,193 Posts
They are good in many ways but not as reliable as thier predesessor
Things i dont like about them are the front doors are far too big and heavy so carparks are a problem compared to the T4,gearbox and driveshaft failure is common,wiper mechanism is feeble,5cylinder engine is a nightmare to work on and very unreliable and expensive to maintain,plagued with electrical niggles(too complicated),expensive to lower,need minimum 20" alloys to fill the arches,nose looks like a bulldog .
Things i do like about them they drive like a modern car not like a van,sunglasses holder in the roof,clutch replacement is easier than the T4,brakes are keen,in dash gearshift,cup holders,1.9TDI is better than the 2.5TDI although not as powerfull obvisiously.
I reckon the T5.1 will be a better van than the T5 even though its only a facelift they have dropped the 5 cylinder motor and replaced it with a 2.0 TDI common rail T: the best move VW ever made with the T5.
In all fairness I didn't have to many problems with mine until the 100k point when things started to go wrong with the engine:( Had a drive shaft under warranty and a steering joint also a new clock cluster thinking about it, but its a nice drivea nd a good sound track being a 5 cylinder not sure about newer engine:* i'll give it a couple of years to see about reliability. Twin turbos could be abit of a nightmare:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've a 2.5 130 and have had no faults in the two and half years I've owned it, the smaller engine was a bit gutless for my needs as I carry a lot of kit around , best van I've ever owned T:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've a 54 plate T5 2.5 130, had it from new, only problem was the Gates coupling (freewheeling alternator gearing), but one problem in 6 years isn't too bad in my books. Van washed when it was new, serviced once a year and used as a tool for work. It does have low mileage at 68K , but a lot of that is local so swings and roundaboutsT:

I'd buy another one tomorrow, not that I'm selling mine for a long time yet :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
T5s are awesome. I traded my Porsche 997 (911) carrera S for one and I have no regrets (wasnt driving it). I am an chartered engineer who has worked in the motorsport(F1,MotoGP) and off highway engine industry for that last 14 years and I think the T5 4 cylinder van is a very good piece of work. (Cant speak for the 5....)

http://berthathebus.blogspot.com

·
Registered
561 Posts
you'll love driving the T5. Drivetrain isn't bomb proof though (no cambelt on 2.5tdi). Drive shafts (wear out on splines), gearboxes (rear main bearing and syncro rings get replaced) are a problem.

DMF is a common problem aswell in all makes of vehicle. makes clutch replacement expensive as you typically replace both at the same time and its a big labour job.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I bought m 2.5 130 breand new in oct 06 BNZ engine i have always serviced it myself using only genuine parts every 10k i think the longlife is too long and the oil is a fortune. 143k miles later no problems at all clutch and DMF @ 102k other than that nothing. I have just bought another 59 2.5 130 BNZ engined van with only 6k on the clock so i'm hoping this one is as good as the other :ILU:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I personally believe that the 1.9s are more reliable and they are very easy to work on. My 2004 1.9 has now got 316,000 miles and never had any major work, Just the usual wear and tear parts.... T:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts