VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Trying to remove what I think are the standard roof clips, i.e. grey screw type with 3mm allen hole in the top for unscrewing.

However 90% of them wont undo at all, the allen key just spins in place as if they have been done up too tightly.

Any removal advice? I've already tried imperial and metric keys just to be sure!!

I think I'll be replacing these with the MVM hidden ones to make life easier!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi.just use a sharp edge to lever the screw out, a claw hammer might work once you have a small gap.If you're not reusing them it doe'snt matter if you mess them up.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That or a drill was the fall back plan :-D
I was wondering if there was a trick to removing them without trashing them too much :-D

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
The most successful way we have found is to get a no.20 torx driver. Tap it in as its a tight fit, then unscew as gently as you can. If you put any pressure on when undoing it, then it will just spin. Occasionally you will need to lever the 2 part apart with a blunt blade whilst you unscrew, but only the odd one.
Alternatively, I have tried someone elses suggestion of a self tapping screw - do it up a bit, then when the screw is in, undo it and the centre should come out....personally i find the torx bit the best.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll try tapping it in!! I did try a smaller torx but it just span.
Thanks chaps I think a combination of things will be the best plan as I'll need to re use them until mvm re opens!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts