VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a definitive (if there is one!) for the torque wrench settings for the 5 bolts that hold the auto gearbox sump in place. I changed the gasket and filter again this weekend, which I think is around the 5th in the last year, and torqued up the bolts to 12nm but it's still leaking ATF after a 20 mile run. It's got fresh oil in it, the proper yellow stuff and I also changed the heat exchanger unit on the top, in case there was a water leak forcing the ATF out. I've also recently changed the filler tube and rubber o ring in case it was that, but it still just leaks everywhere! I've got VCDS too, and checked the level when it hit 35 degrees, so it's now just frustrating the hell out of me, hence I thought I'd double check that I've torqued the bolts up correctly; 12nm comes up when I google it but should they be a bit tighter, as it didn't leak as much before I bought my torque wrench, and so tightened them up more? However, I've also seen 8nm as a setting, dependent on bolt size - I use a 10mm socket on mine, so I guess they're M10? Any help or advice would be much appreciated before I drop the sump again and stick a load of gasket sealant on there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bingley, I guess I need to loosen and then re-tighten to the lower torque - I got the 12nm I used off the You Tube video from EXOVCDS - does it matter which gearbox, as I've got the later one from 2001?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,508 Posts
What year is it?
Is it the "sealed for life" (LOL) or the old one with the dipstick?
The early one didn't have the torque converter lockup....so possibly make more pressure?

Both are "pressurised" by the torque converter, but I'd have assumed there would be a bypass valve somewhere in the box to avoid over pressure.

AFAIK, the bolts are 6mm thread.

Edit; Oops....you posted whilst I was typing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine's a 2001 Caravelle, so it's the later gearbox with the tiny filler tube, the 01P. The only thing I haven't looked at yet is the breather on top of it in case it's somehow blocked up. I'll try the lower torque settings on the gasket first, and see if that works, then try the breather I think.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks Bingley, I guess I need to loosen and then re-tighten to the lower torque - I got the 12nm I used off the You Tube video from EXOVCDS - does it matter which gearbox, as I've got the later one from 2001?
Yes the two he seems to fix are a 2.4 & a petrol model. The sump is completely different on your later model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts