VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Epic epic fail really like the look of them, but really wished I had not bothered, really close to fitting the old lamps back :eek:

As above just gone into the garage for the MOT Audi lights made it fail on 6 separate points

2 my fault for poor up / down alignment when I did it

2 for not being able to sort the sideways alignment enough (they are still on this as I managed to adjust them)

##2 for lack of visibly on the indicators.

Now I read a bunch of people had got through the MOT with audi style lights with an advisory I have just been sat in the garage for 1 hour (which I have to pay for arguing the point) it pans out and seen the documents:

The letter of the law is something about at least some (50%?) light from the indicators must be seen from the side and it can not be, that appears to be a given.

there is not standard advisory for not being able to see the lights from the side, again a given :confused:, looked through the standard advisory, apparently you can manually enter and advisory but this is risky on the tester.

If anyone has any idea then please; let me know T:

Or I am going to have to fit side repeaters :eek:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Tell the tester he is a ---- and go somewhere else. Plenty of peeps have gone thro' with no probe including myself, not even an advisory. He's being a big one!!!

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that the line I went down in the first place, CE (or whatever) marked headlights with the correct bulbs thus should not fail, that when he got the book out and I have got to agree with him on the letter of the law but............

I think I am just going to go another garge just shame about the £50,

The only thing that puts me off is there going to be some kind of database for the MOT and my van now??

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats not good mate:( mine passed without any problems only a couple of months back. Tester just called one of the other fellas in to "look at these fancy lights"!
LOL:

Been speaking to a lot of people about this all afternoon and it looks like 'technically' they are a fail but you have got to be very unlucky :(

probably going to have a bash at another MOT centre as it pans out the details are not on the database in that way :) or may have a go at the side repeaters (I have just ordered some in case)LOL:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was wondering about these lights myself. I haven't had to do the MOT yet.

I can't see a way of adjusting up and down and side to side other than washers/spacers.....does anyone know?

cheers, John

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The audi lights were my epeic fail of a mod last year.. they leaked and steamed up, fitted badly and eventually played havoc with my electrics. Best off just changing the bulbs on the originals and getting the upgrade loom to make em brighter. I was just glad to get my money back from the supplier in the end.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ed, what a pain in the proverbial :bhd

I've been holding off changing my indicators/lights from the stock ones until I could afford the Audi style ones as love the look but if it's going to be potential hassle I might have a re-think.

Thanks for the heads up and hope you get it sorted at another MOT station :gl

Got my MOT tomorrow, even though I'm 99.9% sure it'll be fine, I still hate MOT day!!!!

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all

nickelarse best of luck with your mot T:

been a while on your build bud, anything new?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I was thinking of changing my lights for some of these!!!!

Me thinks not now!! :ILU:

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of changing my lights for some of these!!!!

Me thinks not now!! :ILU:
to be honest fella i just think i was unlucky, spoke to daz about it and he just confirmed it. So many peeps run 'em and just fine on the MOT, though it is strictly against the 'code'

BTW love your engine thread just read the lot (rather oddly, given your rather instant reply LOL:) can't wait to see you final dynoT:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
to be honest fella i just think i was unlucky, spoke to daz about it and he just confirmed it. So many peeps run 'em and just fine on the MOT, though it is strictly against the 'code'

BTW love your engine thread just read the lot (rather oddly, given your rather instant reply LOL:) can't wait to see you final dynoT:
This is true! most mot'ers are car nuts themselfs so know the score so to say!!

would like these lights but at the same time realise the projekt zwos are pretty rare!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone.
You might have better luck at a different MOT station. When I had my van MOT'ed the garage tried to rip me of, not on my lights but on my brakes.
When I got my MOT, four weeks ago it failed on the brakes. So I got all the brakes sorted out at the garage that always does the work on my van, they are very reliable. When I went for the MOT re test, they passed my van but said the brakes were pulling 25 % to one side and they could fix it for me. Knowing that the brakes had being done already I returned to the garage that fixed them. He took my van next door to another MOT station and he tested the brakes for me. They were pulling as straight as possible, less than 5 % out.
I think the problem might of being that I got the MOT cheap (£21) from a voucher in the local paper. The MOT station also does servicing, so I gues they wanted the work. But still not right.
John.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
thanks all

nickelarse best of luck with your mot T:

been a while on your build bud, anything new?
Thanks Ed, thankfully passed no probs T: The build and van mods are having to go on the back burner for a little while until I have made some space on the credit card I:

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ed, thankfully passed no probs T: The build and van mods are having to go on the back burner for a little while until I have made some space on the credit card I:
yeah no the feeling bud but just got some free I.C.E in so another entry coing once i got the mot sortedT:

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The solution

Well I do have to admit General Lee does owe me a "massive I told you so" for telling me to not be an idiot and just put the old ones on like three days ago but put the old lights back on.

With out putting more spacers in the alignment of one of the lights would not go far right enough so may be some spacers and repaters for next year but for now ^^^^^^^.

But whoop as of 0930 hrs this morning I have an MOT :D

J::clap:db:mw:db:clapJ:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Having just bought a set I'm now a touch confused why they could be considered illegal.

I made sure I got ones for UK driving and yes I need to get the alignment checked but what other issues are there?

TA

·
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
congratulations on the pass mate :ILU::ILU::cool:
Cheers lee, should have listened to you more in the first place T:

Having just bought a set I'm now a touch confused why they could be considered illegal.

I made sure I got ones for UK driving and yes I need to get the alignment checked but what other issues are there?

TA
I am not arguing this with people but as a given (trust me I have seen the documentation) the lights without repeaters are not acceptable for UK use due to the arc of visibility of the indicator. That's why you need repeaters.

If you look at your standard ones the indicators move further round the side of the vehicle and have little prisms to spread the light. Any uk car with simlar lights as standard will have side repeaters to get round this.

Spoke at length to Dazboi and other about this notable points are:
-Technically the cops can pull you for lack of side visibility though this is unheard of, and i do not know what the upshot of this would be
- standard T4 imported into the UK have to have UK indicator lenses fitted to pass the MOT for the same reason (assuming it is picked up)
- I was just really unlucky to be fair loads of people have these lights and pass the MOT, if I had of gone to another test center it is likely they would have missed it.

Mine are the UK use ones with all the correct numbers and standards :confused: the alignment is probably because of the poor construction but you can get around it with spacers. The lights are intended for use with repeaters thats why they have the standards on them.

I think triple B said he had a similar problem to do with the side to side alignment at the last Sussex meet but he also said something about spacers (though I am a bit deaf so did not catch all of it)

Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 31 Posts