VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a syncro velle. It is a 2.4d. I want to put AT tyres on not skinny little low profile jobs. It currently has 4 old audi alloys on it and also came with some 15 inch tsw alpines. I can't find a load rating on the Tsw's anywhere. Want tyres and wheels to be legal and safe. Do they normally just say a figure on kg pr do they use a similar code to tyres?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wheels don't generally have the load rating on them.

As an not totally reliable rule of thumb, if you cannot find a load rating associated with the wheels they probably aren't suitable.
*<:)>

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have just put AT tyres on my 2.5 tdi, gone back to the original steels, no problems with load rating, spigot rings or wheel bolts and the van drives great, really smooth

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have just put AT tyres on my 2.5 tdi, gone back to the original steels, no problems with load rating, spigot rings or wheel bolts and the van drives great, really smooth

Interesting bolt caps and vw centre, how have you got the vw badge to stay on?

I have a fondness of the 'cups' like this but no idea how to make them stay on:*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK2-GOLF-SCIROCCO-CENTRE-HUB-CAP-WHEEL-/181041348711?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2a26e7c067

·
Registered
161 Posts
The bolt caps are 19mm black caps from ebay, the vw centre cap is undersize with lots of turns of insulation tape to build up the diameter until its a tight push fit on the wheel centre. I wasn't happy with the VW caps, so now have some black trailer hubcaps (they keep the grease in the bearings), the biggest I couold find were 53mm, so they had the insulation tape treatment, they seem to stay on ok

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bolt caps are 19mm black caps from ebay, the vw centre cap is undersize with lots of turns of insulation tape to build up the diameter until its a tight push fit on the wheel centre. I wasn't happy with the VW caps, so now have some black trailer hubcaps (they keep the grease in the bearings), the biggest I couold find were 53mm, so they had the insulation tape treatment, they seem to stay on ok

Are these the 15" Steels? What size tyres have you got on them? This is the look we've been thinking about, and seeing your T4 has convinced us! Do they rub at all?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are these the 15" Steels? What size tyres have you got on them? This is the look we've been thinking about, and seeing your T4 has convinced us! Do they rub at all?
They are original 15" x 6J steels, blasted and painted Anthracite Grey with a silver line around the rim, tyres are 215/75/15 BFG AT with a load rating of 100. There is plenty of clearance and the van rides very smooth on any surface, also the increase in diameter has increased the gearing by about 7% so motorway cruising is easier at lower revs. I'm thinking of a small lift on the suspension, with 25mm spring spacers and the front wound up to match.

·
Registered
724 Posts
They are original 15" x 6J steels, blasted and painted Anthracite Grey with a silver line around the rim, tyres are 215/75/15 BFG AT with a load rating of 100. There is plenty of clearance and the van rides very smooth on any surface, also the increase in diameter has increased the gearing by about 7% so motorway cruising is easier at lower revs. I'm thinking of a small lift on the suspension, with 25mm spring spacers and the front wound up to match.
Do it!T:A:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts