VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a bit bored with the dull grey dash in my T5 so decided to start changing things. First off is a new gearstick surround. Many thanks to the people on here for the inspiration, I decided to have a go at fitting an audi tt chrome surround. Some great threads from previous years to help with this. Bud the spud supplied quite a few and some good information from stuwindsurf.
Found a reasonably priced surround on fleabay complete with original gaitor and the plastic fixing box. Thought i would put the pictures up to show what I did.
starting with original

Heres the new surround complete with instructions downloaded from all the helpful threads from you lovely folks

I removed the gear stick cap with a small screwdriver, pops out easily, then removed the hex bolt and gear knob lifts off.

The gaitor comes out quite easily again with a small screwdriver, the plastic ring is a bit fragile so be careful if you need to keep it in tact, I decided to use the audi gaitor so didnt need the original gaitor and retaining ring.

The plastic sleeve for the reverse gear cone just lifts off

Next I had to remove the chrome trumpet from the audi gaitor, I wold have liked to fit this again but couldnt figure out how, maybe for a later mod if someone posts the answer.

The old plastic insert fits easily into the rubber gaitor
I then removed the chrome ring from the base unit, removing the eight hex bolts

I decided to cut the plastic base down using my bandsaw, first trimming off the square base followed by cutting the remaining ring down to size. With hindsight I took a little too much off at this stage the ring should have been about 1mm larger all the way round in fact probably would have fit without this final trimming (should have checked before cutting).

Now the fiddly bit of reassembly, first checked the plastic ring slotted through the hole in the dash, there was a couple of small plastic tabs under the dashboard at about 10'oclock that needed nibbling off with wire cutters so the plastic ring sat flush behind the dash.
I put one hex bolt loosely back in place holding the chrome ring to the plastic ring with the gaitor in between. This slotted onto the dash easily and then I just worked away from that bolt until all bolts were added and tightened up.
reassembled the gear knob, sat back and admired my work! Just waiting for a replacement gear knob cap to freshen this up.
So this is how it looks now.

Hope this useful to folks. Apologies for the poor photo quality in some pics.

·
Registered
746 Posts
SNAP. I just did this too. However I never trimmed the outer circle and I can tell you whilst it fitted it was a right PITA. Looks good and is just like my MK1 TT as well.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Looks great was about to do this mod myself is the rubber gaitor type off the Quattro TT how much did you pay for yours T:

·
Registered
746 Posts
yes it is complete set up from TT, I think mine was about £45 on ebay am sure you could do it cheaper but I CBA to faff around and source a ring and then a base so just bought it all in one. I did almost take the one out of my TT I:

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep an eye on e bay picked mine up for under £30 no idea which model it came from but looks good once done.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
anyone done this without the base as i got ring but no base :(
j

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
anyone done this without the base as i got ring but no base :(
j
Yes it does work with the OEM gaitor. It just needs a trim and some hole punched in it for the screwsa to pass through, I used a paper punch which worked OK but a leather is a bit tougher :D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes it does work with the OEM gaitor. It just needs a trim and some hole punched in it for the screwsa to pass through, I used a paper punch which worked OK but a leather is a bit tougher :D
how did you mount it / as the holes dont seem to line up with the dash , did you make a base to screw to cheers j

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
how did you mount it / as the holes dont seem to line up with the dash , did you make a base to screw to cheers j
You need the plastic that sits beneath the ring with all the captive nuts as its that that sandwiches the aluminium ring to the dash on the t5. The screws of the aluminium ring sit inside the hole around the gearstick There is a how to somewhere on here somewhere

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You need the plastic that sits beneath the ring with all the captive nuts as its that that sandwiches the aluminium ring to the dash on the t5. The screws of the aluminium ring sit inside the hole around the gearstick There is a how to somewhere on here somewhere
thats the bit i dont have lol
j

1 - 20 of 29 Posts