VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting me some Audi A4 wheels, 5 spoke, 7J x 16, which I understand are quite popular I:

What I need to know is: Do I need radius or tapered seat bolts?

Are my standard steely wheely bolts the ones I need :*

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Look like 60 deg taper to me, be sure that they are also long enough. Do yourself a favour and go to a reputable tyre/wheel shop to get correct length. You may also need spigot rings. And they probably won't be load rated (tyres state 91v) so may fail MOT. So don't ditch your steelies......

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hi Kate. If the alloys are genuine Audi then radius bolts are needed. If the alloys are replicas then tapered bolts. If I'm correct 35mm bolts are good. Hang in I will copy and past the correct info on size bolts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look like 60 deg taper to me, be sure that they are also long enough. Do yourself a favour and go to a reputable tyre/wheel shop to get correct length. You may also need spigot rings. And they probably won't be load rated (tyres state 91v) so may fail MOT. So don't ditch your steelies......
load ratings are not checked on class 4 mot mate

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
If there genuine which im sure they are as ive never seen that style in a rep
They will not need spigot ring adapters also they will be radius as already mentioned
Also load rating has nothing todo with class 4 mots which all t4s fall under
Insurance and road side checks are another thing T:

·
Registered
647 Posts
hey up pal iv just bought a brand new set of audi a5 allloys and the steel wheel bolts are radius but there are a smaller version on alloys iv just bought the tampered 1s and there wrong so just making do at minute T:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
hey up pal iv just bought a brand new set of audi a5 allloys and the steel wheel bolts are radius but there are a smaller version on alloys iv just bought the tampered 1s and there wrong so just making do at minute T:
T: Hello there. :eek: No don't run them. They will not sit right in the wheel and work loose. I know as when my new wheels were fitted the tyre guy did not advise me on the difference in bolts and my wheel worked loose buckling one or two bolts. That's why I now now the whole bolt thing cos I hat to quickly swat up on it. The noise my front end was making was more like my suspension or something big had gone. I limped it to my local garage only for them to eventually find I had the wrong wheel bolts in and the wheel was very loose. Thank god I was still in my local area and not on one of my usual jaunts to somewhere far far away :cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
T: Hello there. :eek: No don't run them. They will not sit right in the wheel and work loose. I know as when my new wheels were fitted the tyre guy did not advise me on the difference in bolts and my wheel worked loose buckling one or two bolts. That's why I now now the whole bolt thing cos I hat to quickly swat up on it. The noise my front end was making was more like my suspension or something big had gone. I limped it to my local garage only for them to eventually find I had the wrong wheel bolts in and the wheel was very loose. Thank god I was still in my local area and not on one of my usual jaunts to somewhere far far away :cool:
cheers pal iv not put the tapered 1s in iv left the steel radius 1s in ,only because iv done a quite long journeys in it and its been fine ,the bolt sits on the outside edge of the hole so as a good seat ,going to order some smaller radius 1s soon but may be getting rid of alloys for some more stylish 1s ,the 1s iv got iv never seen these on any t4 there off audi a5 2011 plate they have a desent dish on there thats only reason i bought them, would like a polished alloy wheel look not painted as these are cheers karl *<:)>

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I: aahhhhh miss read your post karlos. Thought you were running your tapered ones. Not got any knowlage of running steel bolts in alloys. Think the only issue would be the length of the bolt . If they protrude the rear of the wheel hub by a few mm they should be ok for now. But I'm sure there will be a thread on here about it offering you some correct advice.

I: I bought a cracking set of alloys advertised for a t4 and came with a set of wheel bolts. Well when they arrived the bolts were the right tapered ones BUT only 25mm in length :confused:. I spoke to the fella to say a 35mm was recommended but he said they would be fine. :eek: I won't be running them I luckily have my old set that are 35mm so will use them. It goes to show not every one has safety in mind and the "that will do "attitude is bad , so it's always best to check and double check. :ILU:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aaahhhhh there you go ,a handy little thread

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114442

14mmx1.5mm Wheel Bolts
Radiusseating
35mm thread
To fit5 stud VW T4
Also ideal for most 5 stud Audi / VW cars when usingspacers of up to about 8mm
Thanks for the info Webs hun. But I'm still a bit confused, as within the thread someone stated:

OEM Audi wheels take a 14mm bolt with a 12mm radius seat. T4 bolts have a 14mm radius seat. If you use the T4 bolts they will sit on the edge of the seat counterbore rather than down into the seat and under load will tend to deform the wheel material loosening the bolt. If you are using standard T4 bolts then new ones with the correct radius should solve your problem. Make sure that the new bolts are the correct length.....standard bolts engage by 15mm (10 turns).

I've also got spacers with correct length bolts for my standard steels. But reading the above, it looks like the Audi OEM alloysa need radius seat to be 12mm and not 14mm as per standard T4.

Awww, this alloy wheel bolt problem is causing me a headache. I've already experienced a wheel coming off while driving along in one of my old Bugs- most friggin scary! x

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Oohhhh Kate. Well I was running genuine Audi alloys with the stated size and all was fine. Go to eBay and see what size bolts they do. Have the info of what your wheels are and ask a few sellers and compare answers. That should give you a fair idea on what to run. Your righ it can be a right head ache the whole wheel thing. But you will sort it soon. There are loads of threads on her so Spose gleam the info from there. T:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here's a drawing indicating how a R14 bolt DOES NOT FIT in a R12 seat wheel. This comes up time and time again on the forum and is honestly one of the most dangerous things people could be doing. The edge of the wheel seat deforms and the bolts come loose. Once the bolts are loose they will start to fail one at a time and the wheel WILL fall off if it goes un-noticed. It will also PERMANENTLY damage your precious alloys!

PLEASE PEOPLE........IF YOU ARE UNSURE GO TO A REPUTABLE GARAGE AND GET IT CHECKED OUT

You can see there is only a very small contact area for the bolt to engage with the seat on the wheel.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for your help and assistance- love this forum and love you all- Happy Chrimbo everyone, x

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am having the same issue here and am totally confused :confused:

I have genuine 17 inch Audi A8 Fat Fives ready to fit on my T4, but not sure what bolts to use. I tried one of the steel wheel bolts and it appeared to fit, then I read here that it actually doesn't. That is assuming the standard wheel bolts are 14mm radius? I have searched for 12mm ones to no avail, please help.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
The T4 uses 14mm thread so why are you looking at 12mm?

If you don't know if the wheel uses a radius or a taper fitting the push some Blutac or something that can take a shape into the wheel and see what shape cones out.

Gen VW T4 alloys use the same radius bolts as the steels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts