VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a few different audio upgrade places that recommend Audison voce kit .
I know nothing about them ....but they do look nice :love:.
Anybody had any experience of these ?
Any help much appreciated as always .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey sorry for late reply bitterandtwisted, but I've gone with exactly those manufacturers, together! Focals ISU200 8" kit (approx £150 inc door adapters) for the fronts with included inline crossover to tweets that fit perfectly into existing with a bit of trimming on door spacer and are a huge upgrade in themselves :)) and you could stop there...however, under my drivers seat I've gone with a 10" Audison Prima APS 10D (got mine for a steal at £110!), fitted into a Q+ VWT5 (£120 approx). No amp required as a dual voice coil subwoofer so rear outputs wired in parallel to each coil from pioneer sph-10bt head unit (£100) which is classed as 'High Power' designed to handle the 4ohms to 2ohms extra power delivering a perfect balance that my ears value, it's a revelation and all at reasonable cost imo! Enjoy finding your aural balance! Hi-res audio via Tidal was my aim to match my hi res home set up & my bus is now exactly that, albeit without battery sucking amps!
ps for £50 extra I bought the optional parking sensors for the Pioneer head unit so got sound & visual for that :)

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ade, i was just reading your other post .
That sub was a steal mate (y)
I used to dabble in car audio when i was a kid but i'm completely lost with it all these days ...and the idea of a sub running just off head unit power melts my melons o_O.
I do have some old school kit still that i may try and add but everything swallows up valuable space .
Theres nowhere open currently to go look and listen to any new speakers so i'm relying on the feedback of people like your good self .
Optional pioneer parking sensors ?? ...tell me more
:geek:

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah i see those parking sensors are designed for use with that particular head unit so no good for me 🙃

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks bud (y) it was a dealer selling those Audsion subs on Ebay off. and yes, sorry those sensors are for that unit specific, would've loved some oem sensors but more than price of my whole av kit! ...as a brand I'd not heard of them until recently, Focal I know as high end hi-fi, but in-car nailed it! ..back in the day I used alpine & Kenwood head units, speakers were phoenix gold 6x9's & amps & subs built into hatchbacks cargo shelves! Much more refined these days :geek: hahaha
p.s. Yeah tough to get auditions etc now, didn't think of that, so I get you, word of mouth gospel 🙏

·
Registered
639 Posts
i've got some lower end focals up front and they sound great, and i adore their hifi stuff so i'm always going say go with them. but i have heard good things about the audison stuff, their processors and ability to have break out boxes to control volume from else where in the van would be a great addition when camping etc.

one thing i will say: i noticed an audible difference between running my front speakers from a dedicated amp compared to head unit. maybe i've just got a rubbish headunit, but there's just more there when i put a dedicated amplifier inline. but, as you say, it's all down to space.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gav, just need to way up how long we're keeping the van firstly and then how much 'stuff' do i want to add to make it a more enjoyable place to be . ...along with how much money do i want to chuck at it ?
Beginning of this year we had thought about selling it and going for something bigger but this virus has us 2nd guessing whether we just 'love it' rather than 'list it' .
Are your front speakers 8" or 6.5"?
Our speakers were knackered when we bought the van so i replaced them with some MB Quart i had knocking around in tha garage , these have been in 5 years now and are long overdue an upgrade.

·
Registered
639 Posts
6.5's with tweeters in the dash. Ran them for a while on their own before I fitted the rear and sub, and they're really quite nice. Its depends on what you're going for I suppose, the focals are quite accurate so if you're after honesty then they're great. If you're after what I've come to call 'the BMW drivers sound' (loads of bass, loads of treble, nothing inbetween. Or in my industry we say 'loads of t*ts loads of as* and nothing inbetween) then maybe not so much. Call me a snob but the latter is wrong anyway. Mid range is the hardest frequency band to get right and cutting it out is just cheating and you miss out on loads of detail. Can only think that the higher end focals would sound divine.
Saying that I did spend an hour or 2 drooling over the audison stuff yesterday.
Another hifi/car audio cross over bra d worth considering is dynaudio. Not heard their car stuff but their hifi stuff is very good indeed

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Gav , heard of dynaudio but didnt know they did car stuff . ...maybe i should take a look ....i maybe best if i dont 🙃 .
I think my mind is made on focal now its just deciding which ones.
My hours have been cut at work and the future unclear so i may revise my budget a little ...need to look at the flax focals maybe .

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks Gav , heard of dynaudio but didnt know they did car stuff . ...maybe i should take a look ....i maybe best if i dont 🙃 .
My hours have been cut at work and the future unclear so i may revise my budget a little ...need to look at the flax focals maybe .

i have the 165AS's i think and they're great, i run mine off an amp yet i've put them in a mates van who runs them off his headunit and it powers them well, just need to push the head unit a bit more.
having time to look at stuff is torture. i work in corporate hospitality/events so i've literally lost all of my work, yet yesterday was ready to totally overhaul my audio stuff even though it works fine. MUST.STOP.BROWSING

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Narrowed my search to just Focal and yet there are still way too many to look at o_O.
2 ways i think are gonna be easiest cuz theres nowhere to mount the mids without building something.
I also think £800 for the flagship model is out of the question at the mo .

·
Registered
639 Posts
Narrowed my search to just Focal and yet there are still way too many to look at o_O.
2 ways i think are gonna be easiest cuz theres nowhere to mount the mids without building something.
I also think £800 for the flagship model is out of the question at the mo .
yes, the 3 ways are probably great and i've seen people mount them in the A pillars which can look good, but can't gelp but think that having the mids a tweeters right in your face wouldn't be a good thing. i know the guys at skipton fit a lot like that, and a lot of people say they sound great but i don't really trust other peoples ears! plus when you get into the 3 way systems and the upper end of the price bracket you really have to look at driving them with an amplifier as the stock unit won't give them enough juice.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have at least 5 amps off
the top of my head sitting in my lock-up so juice isnt a problem 😁.
Nice ,clean power is important in my books . (y)
All the focals across the range seem to get real good reviews....doesnt help me much 😆

·
Registered
280 Posts
High end Volvo have them fitted as standard ..
A set of 3 ways can be had for less than 200 pounds if your lucky ..

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i never knew that , it seems after having a quick look they also do B&W and HK systems for volvo's too .
I was never that impressed with HK stuff though .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently put the Voce AV k5 kit into a T4. The 5" kinda fit in my existing door openings, a little deep. One of the tweeters was half dead when I got it though and I ended up opening it up to fix it rather than send it back, which is a little poor. Installed the tweeter pods ontop of the existing grilles. Quite happy with the system though. Have a pair of hertz 6x4s in the back too.

If you want some pics there is a little write up here.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that Dazey , hax a quick nosey all the way through ...theres some great carbon fibre goodies in your van 👍 ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts