VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally in the process of organising an Austop installation on my Van.
Its a logistical nightmare as I'm in Jersey and have to ship the van to the UK so added cost.

Before I make final plans has anyone fitted solar to an Austop roof and if so what type and how was it fitted.
Trying to decide if its something I can do myself later or get the roof fitter to do it and what the best option is.

Thanks all..

·
Registered
106 Posts
HI,
We have an Austop roof fitted to our van and cant fault it what so ever, I also have fitted the semi flexible solar panels to it using the 3M VHB double side tape to fit it down with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI,
We have an Austop roof fitted to our van and cant fault it what so ever, I also have fitted the semi flexible solar panels to it using the 3M VHB double side tape to fit it down with.
Sounds positive. Can you tell me how you have routed the wires or have any pictures.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I fitted a 120w flex solar panel to my Austop. I spoke to Austops who recommended drilling the roof as per the pics, bringing in the cables outside the canvas and then bringing the cable in through the canvas. They said that going in through the inside would mean drilling the honeycombe structure of the roof.

The pics of the cable run where when I fitted the aerial, but I ran the solar cable in the same way. After I cut the hole in the canvas, I protected it with a two piece canvas eyelet. It’s been fine all over winter, n-to had any problems with the caval or leaks etc.

Any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quick question, where are the wires going next, looks like they are coming into the poptop then back out again? Second, does the beesting aerial work ok on a poptop? I thought they needed a ground plane to work effectively?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

There is a hole in the original roof near where the canvas bolts down. The wire goes in there and into the cavity just inside the rear doors at the top where the wiring loom is.

The aerial works way better than the original in the mirrors and better than the dab one I had stuck to the windscreen. I seems to work no worse than when it was on the old roof. Monopole antennas don’t really need a ground plane, but they can have improved performance by exploiting the reflections though, but in the real world it is all much messier than theory.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I fitted a 120w flex solar panel to my Austop. I spoke to Austops who recommended drilling the roof as per the pics, bringing in the cables outside the canvas and then bringing the cable in through the canvas. They said that going in through the inside would mean drilling the honeycombe structure of the roof.

The pics of the cable run where when I fitted the aerial, but I ran the solar cable in the same way. After I cut the hole in the canvas, I protected it with a two piece canvas eyelet. It’s been fine all over winter, n-to had any problems with the caval or leaks etc.

Any questions, just ask.
Thank you so much that's a great help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much that's a great help.

Also notice you have a roof rack system on your Austop. Can you tell me what it is.

Gary

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts