VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, i got my 93 2.4 and it has the usual non working temp guage(fuel guage works tho) so i set about the guage fix(thanks rod vwT:) some one had been in before me to do it, so i tidy'd it up but no joy, still no temp guage:(, got a set of clocks from the scrappy, did the fix, again, no joy (voltage reg thing checks out ok on both)

so, on to the sender, shorted the pins to each other and eventualy the needle started to lift:D(on to diagonal, cant remember the colours) so thought a new sender was in order, got it in to day and nothing:( still lifts when shorted but im guessing the two pins im shorting are the two different circuits(for guage and for elec coolant pump)

can any one give me any advice on hows best to test the circuits to see if theres a break or anything, can i do a continuity test? but from which pin to where? i take it its not the same circuit dia as rod has on his web site as thats for 96 on:confused:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
http://scienceshareware.com/how-to-measure-DC-current-with-a-dmm.htm

It sounds as though juice is at the sensor but is it using the return properly. Had a quick look at the drawings and it seems it uses two earths both brown check they conduct. Put the multimetter on the r or buzzer setting hold it to the end of the brown cable and the other probe to the chassis. You should get a low reading or a buzz...............if not youve found the prob. good luck

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers davie, il get my meter out and have look tomorow. There is a loose brown with a ring terminal on it, hanging around in the area of the sender, shall i earth it and see what happens?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
that is an earth mate the sender on the dwg has 4 terminlas with two earths. i reckon youve found your problem

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a play today, i Couldnt get any continuity from any of the four to earth, from two im getting Abouts 12.5 volts(obviously the supplys) when i short two i get i relay buzzing(36 i think, swoped for a spare and still buzzed) and a slight buzz from the elec coolant pump. But i cant still get the temp guage to move as it should. Ive ordered a manual which will hopefully help as it think circuit diagrams are needed so i know for definate what colours are what as Ive also got a loose two pin plug thats showing a switched 12v( on the ignition). Im abit baffled by it as i cant see any thing that it should plug into.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that was the first place i looked but its from 96 on(mines a 93) so will be differant but ive orderd the manual from rod(got a forum discount as wellT:) so il hopfully get to the bottom of it yet.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, this is realy starting to get on my ****!!:*

ive been out and had a good play this aft. On the multi plug the two earths(brown and red not brown and brown:confused:) had continuity to the loose brown ring terminal but non of them had that good continuity to the engine block earth(quite high resistance). So i extended the brown ring teminal earth and connected it to the earth strap bolt on the block to ensure good connection(there wasnt any obvious place that it should go to:confused:) So now with them earthed, when i shorted out the elec coolant pump it just whirred slightly with out the buzzing relayT:. When i shorted the guage connections the guage was right up to the topT:

I left it ticking over while i put stuff away to warm up. went to look at the guage, nothing:confused: so i took it out for a spin, the heaters were blowing hot, drove it hardish for abouts 5 miles, nothing:confused: the needles not getting off the stop:confused: i replaced the sender with a gen vag one on tuesday(the one that was in looked new as well)

So, whats left to check, the senders brand new, the guage is at the top when shorted. It should work should it not?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
go point to poitn on the circuit with the dwgs. Easiest way to think is each circuit has a start and an end and at each stop it should have continuity of some sort. Generally through an accessory the resistance changes but through cables alone you would expect to see lower readings. Alternatively use the voltage method which is the same as above but your using the meter to trace volts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts