VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Have a T4 2.5 TDI long nose LWB 1999 with auto box. The display in the blue instrument cluster that shows what gear you are in has packed up. When I start the vehicle and move from park to drive the display shows park for a fraction of a second and then I hear two clicks from the base of the gear lever (sounds like an electrical 'click') and the display fails to show gear selected. All the gears are showing but no indication of what gear is selected. Any ideas from the knowledgeable would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You should find that the gearbox is still working in D and R but won't be able to select 1,2 or 3 gear maually too I guess?

Has the van had any wiring unplugged around the gearbox lately? Did a CV joint / driveshaft last week and had to unplug some wiring from the box to get the shaft out. This caused a fault code to appear and needed clearing with VAG COM, all fixed straight away!

Get it on VAG COM anyhow to see what its saying is the problem is?

Keep us posted! :ILU:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. The problem is intermittent. The problem is not selecting any gear but the display of the gear selected showing in the cluster display. Today it righted itself so is it a switch at the top of the gearbox/bottom of the shift stick that is playing up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
Did you sort the problem with your gear shift display? Just that I also have the same problem but I can also put into gear without putting foot on the brake pedal. Have connected to code reader and just comes up with 18032 - mil request active.
Let me know if you found out anymore.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
If water gets into the connector at the gearbox it can cause this problem, clean up the connectors and coat with silicone grease (not silicone sealant) you may need to reset it with vag com

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
My brother had this problem (or similar) and it was the gearbox ECU that had a couple of corroded pins.
It's behind the carpet next to your right foot in the drivers foot space.
May be worth checking it ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torque Convertor Lock-up problem sorted, sorts auto gearbox judder

Well spent £1200 on getting a new torque convertor fitted and this has sorted out the judder completely. Think this amount is quite high but went with it because I got a firm diagnosis that this was the problem and that a new TC would sort it. Problem was described as the TC lock up function not working as should.

Maybe this might help someone! Thanks to all those who took the trouble to reply.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Re: Torque Convertor Lock-up problem sorted, sorts auto gearbox judder

did you ever sort the intermittent display? mine is doing this after fitting cruise control. I think it is a wiring fault but cant seem to track it down.

Anyone else have the same problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts