VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, firstly I'd like to say hi as I've only just joined.

I've just bought a 1996 (N) T4 2500 petrol with an automatic gearbox. It seems to have lost drive completely and makes the most grim grating sound when put into drive. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Could it be that I have to buy a new gearbox, or maybe a rebuild?

Any help would be hugely appreiated :confused:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi Folks, firstly I'd like to say hi as I've only just joined.

I've just bought a 1996 (N) T4 2500 petrol with an automatic gearbox. It seems to have lost drive completely and makes the most grim grating sound when put into drive. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Could it be that I have to buy a new gearbox, or maybe a rebuild?

Any help would be hugely appreiated :confused:
if its making a grim grating noise you may be lucky could posibly be a drive shaft stripped
look at the wheel on full lock whils someone tries to drive it,then look otherside on full lock (dont get too close incase it moves forwards !!)you should see the drive shaft to
see if it is turning if it is your in luck T: thats the broken one

if both are still its a gearbox job , look for another t4 ,second hand box (if you can find a good one, or £1500 for a new one fitted

I know ive been there wore the T shirt

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if it makes any difference but the speedo works when it's in drive? Would that suggest that the box is potentially ok or not?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its making a grim grating noise you may be lucky could posibly be a drive shaft stripped
look at the wheel on full lock whils someone tries to drive it,then look otherside on full lock (dont get too close incase it moves forwards !!)you should see the drive shaft to
see if it is turning if it is your in luck T: thats the broken one

if both are still its a gearbox job , look for another t4 ,second hand box (if you can find a good one, or £1500 for a new one fitted

I know ive been there wore the T shirt
Good news, it's the near side drive shaft!! I'm a very happy chap :)

Thanks TDI Dave, sound advice A:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts