VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, we expats living in Spain and are new to this forum and newbies to the T4 world. Can anyone HELP?

We have just bought last night a T4 2001 diesel auto 2.5 with 133,000 km on the clock, the engine runs sweet and we test drove it before we bought with no problems and everything was fine.

On purchase we headed home on the motorway (2 hour trip), after half an hour of motorway driving we had random gear changes from 4th to 3rd and in the end it found it difficult to stay in 4th, the rest of the box is fine, no juddering or whining, no noises. We know the T4 has been parked up 18 months minimum and wondered if anyone in the VW world has had a similar experience and what it could be and where do we start looking to isolate the problem to rectify it.

We are heading to the UK in 3 weeks time with it from Spain for a holiday and need to sort this as soon as possible, We are mechanically savy but just need pointing in the right direction to know where to start. Thank you in advance for any help you can give us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
first thing to do is check the gearbox oil is a clean red colour,then new gearbox oil and filter,check out the old oil and magnet in the sump to see if there are any indications of wear or possible contamination in the oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, yes we did! Drained oil to check colour and it was clean and clear BUT only 3l came out we cleaned strainer and put back together put new 3l back in then with engine running topped up to level bung which was nearly 5l in total, put bung in and took for road test. Perfect. Have done 16k since with no problems. In our case it was a shortage of oil. . .

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi Blue sky, change the oil in the box regularly as it is prone to burning as the autobox in T4s don't have sufficiant cooling in them especially living in Spain where it will be even hotter ! Mine was an Auto but now changed to manual due to the same problems you had but oil didn't do it for me i'm afraid :eek:
cheers
stew

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
first thing to do is check the gearbox oil is a clean red colour
Just wanted to correct this. If yours is red it means someone has put the wrong oil in. The VW oil is clear. The gearbox holds over 5 litres but when you drain it only around 3.75 litres will come out because of the TQ contains some. If you put something other than the genuine VW oil you will end up with a mixture that will cause problems & the auto has enough of them without adding to them. The only time you can change to another oil is if the trans has been fully rebuilt & the oil you use meets the same VW specs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the above problem -wont go into 4th on auto.

checked oil and level fine but is red?

So i gather this should be clear?!

May be worth changing oil 1st before i have the manaul conversion thats booked in...! shame as drives sweet apart from this problem and 2 years ago had a £1800 gearbox rebuild.

Good info!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
2 years ago had a £1800 gearbox rebuild.
You can talk to the people who did the overhaul to find out what oil they used. Maybe they used a different brand that is approved by VW, or there again, maybe not. Too many garages think they know more than the manufacturer. If you try & change back to the VW oil now, as I said you will end up with a mixture of oils. Not good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts