VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I'm aware the auto gearboxes suffer with overheating problems which is their killer.

So I was wondering what the normal running temperature of the auto box should be?

I'm contemplating fitting a dash mounted temperature gauge to monitor the temp. Has this been done before- and more importantly- is it worth the effort?? x

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Isn't the issue something to do with the standard running temperature being to hot in the first place and additional cooling needed :confused:

guess it should be about 40 - 60 deg above ambient though Rasp:

Sure someone who is not speculating will be along soon, maybe even PM Jim as I think he did some research into this T:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Here is a handy graph of temps and running times:

After reading up on this for a few years, i found the general consensus was a temp sensor/gauge in the sump is the only feasible way for an additional sensor, however this temp readout isn't accurate for the core temp of the gearbox.

You can also have an inline sensor, but :

Hookup a Vagcom Kate, and you can get a digital readout from the temp inside the torque converter. If you really wanted to go posh you could hookup a scanguage somewhere in the van for an accurate readout of the temp at any time.

There is a wealth of info here to read:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41644&highlight=automatic

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scanguage- wowsers on the dollar!
Probably good stuff though.

I was thinking more of a single guage, but maybe this might be pointless coming from the sump thing.

I was given an extra cooling radiator for the 'box when I got the bus, so thats gonna help, but I'm just trying to be careful and keep an 'eye on it' so to speak. x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys and gals,sorry to highjack the thread,I got a 94 2.4 auto and have the same concerns with the box temp. I ordered a gauge+sensor off ebay to fit to the sump as a starting point, then gonna look at extra cooling in the new year. I was looking on ebay and typed in "water cooling"and found an inline "billet" type cooler I think that is used on go karts etc,does anyone think this would help if you put it inline before the water goes into the box oil cooler?they are 20 quid delivered so would be a cheap way to reduce the temp a little?cheers mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts