VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says really, I'm looking for a van to convert to a camper and use everyday and a lot of the 2.5 vans seem to be auto/tiptronic. I've allways found autos to be a bit gutless but is the transporter one any good? I read a Telegraph report on an Auto California which said it was a great box but gave bad mpg. So what is the best box for the transporter?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The ratios on the 6 speed manual box are c**p, first and second are a real pain, you achieve about 15mph in second. The T4 box was far superior in the lower gears not sure how the 5 speed T5 box is in comparison. After owning my T5 for a couple of months now I would like to check out the auto version.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i think generaly across the board

The t4 and t5 boxes are weak and unreliable (considering they are supposed to be work vans)

ive had auto and it failed t4

ive had friends with t4 manual box that have died in big ways

ive had t5's at work the 6 speeds in particular top end gears failing and sticking in gear

dual mass flywheels shattering and destroying the boxes on the motorway

buy the way 4 t5's at dads factory 3, 6 speeds all had boxes at around 90k

and finally my 1.9 5 speed is on its second gearbox and second clutch/flywheel

all the t5 are under 4yrs old i have a huge wallet full of receipts for 4 figure repairs for all

the vans my dad uses

I wont go into too much detail as i havent got a week for the following
Driveshafts ......stripping splines a plenty
all leak water through the cab door seals
dash rattles anoy the drivers (doesnt bother me now )
little cracks on all the rear barn doors
had a few window screens develop cracks for no apparent reason
maf sensors
brake light switches

No meaning to cause a riot but if you buy a t5 you are buying it because you love vw's and for that reason alone
i think they are great dispite the faults we,ve had (all the above on 4 vans over the past 4 yrs) all at and around 200k now)

im just telling you how it is with our vans carting ss fixings (full payload) day in day out 5 days a week on our roads
using as a car / camper im sure totally different story T:

just remember is all about the VW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts