VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automatic speed limiting via GPS using cruise set circuit.

I was thinking after seeing this thread that it would be nice to make it so my van slows down automatically when it hits a 30mph/40mph limit zone if I forget or don't notice for any reason. I have an ancient tomtom that I've just updated the maps/firmware/software on that now accurately and repeatedly warns me if I'm speeding by more than 1mph until the vans slow down to the right speed and displays it on screen.

It may be possible to make it so every time the warning noise/display alarms then the minus - button/circuit on the cruise is activated for a set amount of time, say 2 seconds maybe adjustable up to 30 seconds to allow the speed to gently and gradually decrease until the noise/alarm is not heard/seen.

So it wouldn't apply the brakes it would act exactly as I do when slowing into restricted speed zones, I hold the slow down button till it matches the limit sometimes.

This circuit would obviously have to be switchable to make it safe with a cut out if it senses power to the brake lights (pressing the brake) and/or the clutch pedal.

Getting back up to 60mph after the zone and pressing set again is your job!

Its has a bit of daft about it but does it matter? I used the hooter as a test to activate the cruise before I had the correct stalk!I:

Any ideas from other inventor/modders out there>?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,068 Posts
IIRC the T5.1 ECU includes two speed limit settings. One is intended to be permanent, and is actually quite hard to get rid of if set, but the other can be set and cleared at will.

If this can be changed in real time while the engine is running, it would probably be easier to set and unset this via the OBDII interface than to mess about simulating button presses.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC the T5.1 ECU includes two speed limit settings. One is intended to be permanent, and is actually quite hard to get rid of if set, but the other can be set and cleared at will.

If this can be changed in real time while the engine is running, it would probably be easier to set and unset this via the OBDII interface than to mess about simulating button presses.
Good man, great information.
Job done if that is the case, much easier to get to the end goal.
But.. seeings I have T4 I'll have to stick to the DIY version perhaps :)
Cheers & Beers
Seasons Greetings.
SB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts