VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right forum or not or may be a re-post but though it was worth mentioning....

I've just found a deal to good to be true on a T5 Kombi reg- YC56 VHL. Grey with 20inch alloys, lowered 40mm, selling for £4600

It's on autotrader and possibly ebay although it has now been removed from autotrader

I thought it was suspect so emailed from a spare email account. I got a completely non-discript return email covering nothing I asked for instead asking for a quick sale where by when I sent full payment delivery would be "arranged" at no charge to myself. I've already decided it's suspect at this point but email back asking about specifics. I got a very strange email back saying reason for the ad being removed was it had expired, I didn't even ask about the ad being removed.

After a quick google of the email address and some digging I've found out that they have been involved in scams worth around £1m.

The email address is- [email protected] posing under the name of Evelyn

The vehicles are being advertised as based in London however, you then find out that either A) it's on an army base on the isle of wight or B) it is in Scotland as they have work commitments.

Either way avoid! Apparently they have been trying to scam allsorts of vehicles including a T4 which is "based" on the Army camp on the Isle of Wight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to let Everyone know , i was nearly caught out by the same scammer, Offering a T4 2.5tdi vwbuswerks conversion for 4000£.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-t4-transporter-camper-vanday-van-25tdi-vwbuswerks-conversion-not-t25-or-t5/1050323572

Usual suspicious items sent to me aswell, looking for a quick sale, advertised in london but currently in scotland. Main thing that got me thinking was the way she was asking for payment (i know i should have seen it way before:*) it wa sent via a paypal email [email protected].

Firstly after reading the email a few things stood out, the way of payment wasnt actually through paypal, it stated that because of the large sum of money a bank transfer had to be used, ie no protection. Next thing the name that was stated was a M Lukaszewski, which is definetly not the Evelyn i was speaking to.

After googling the email address and nothing coming up ( surely a company as big as paypal would have put on the internet somewhere), i phoned paypal and ebay, Both saying it was most probably a scam and not to trust them.

its amazing what you can do with 20 mins spare time and the googling capabilities of the FBI.

Why cant i find a van which is perfect for me -Anybody selling??:cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
The dirty thieving scummy fxcking low life's praying on hard working people, but if it sounds too good to be true then 99 times out of a 100 it is. I'm looking to spend 10k on a van but I'm not going to rush in without actually seeing it and making a payment that I know I have some protection.

Jay

·
Registered
47 Posts
After a quick google of the email address and some digging I've found out that they have been involved in scams worth around £1m.

The email address is- [email protected] posing under the name of Evelyn

The vehicles are being advertised as based in London however, you then find out that either A) it's on an army base on the isle of wight or B) it is in Scotland as they have work commitments.

Either way avoid! Apparently they have been trying to scam allsorts of vehicles including a T4 which is "based" on the Army camp on the Isle of Wight
Hi - I also responded to an eBay van too good to be true, ad removed immediately followed by a text from 'Evelyn' asking me to email as the van was still for sale. Wouldn't it be lovely to get them with. 'Sting' operation from trading standards or the police.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hesitantly enquired about a t5 i saw on auto trader and got the same generic emails everyone is getting. Not answering any questions just something about a goon going to mali that cant talk on the phone beacuse he is in the isle of man in a military base. [email protected]. is the email they used. Soon as you type in isle of man military base scam warnings is the top result. There trying it with motorhomes and other stuff as well. Its been going a while and they have had a few people over it seems.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Harsh as it may seem..anyone handing money over for a Vehicle without seeing it [especially 'too good to be true'] has only themselves to blame if they lose their money...there are so many of these [well advertised] scams going on now that you would think people would be extra careful with their 'hard earned'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of these scams get placed on friday saturday evening & most bank holidays when offices are closed.We have been selling vw transporters for years & we get customers telling me they can buy a 2009 t5 with low miles for around £4200. They dont seem to understand its a scam & get sucked in. 47 people sent £4700 each for one vw camper a while back. The banks dont want to know these days. These people are clever & have all the time in the world. Hope that helps

·
Registered
567 Posts
Had something like this when looking for a van. Found a T5 Sportsline on gumtree for £4500. Immediately i thought it was too cheap.

Emailed the person who got back to me.

Apparently it was a woman who had just lost her husband and needed to sell it quickly to avoid losing their house. I was to pay the amount to her via paypal, who would hold the money. She would then arrange for it to be delivered to me. If i wanted it, id sign saying i was happy and she'd get the money released.

If i didnt like the van, i signed saying so and i got the money back and the van would be returned to her.

We all know this is BS.

Before this, I said I wanted to go see the van and i would pay cash in hand. She said I couldnt go see it as someone had already took cash on collection and apparently they were fake notes. I asked how she knew they were fake notes and i heard nothing more.

This was a woman in Scotland.

Be careful guys/gals.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Similar scam recently with cheap t5's on auto trader, story was they took it home to Iceland after working a contract in uk blah blah, difficult to make road legal in Iceland blah blah money sent via applepay..... Low and behold I received two emails from the same person, worded exactly the same about two different vans #thickasthieves :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think there are 3 on Autotrader right now, I got all excited but then common sense kicked in.. A nice T5 for less than £5k - in my dreams..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen a few odd scams like this on ebay, autotrader and gumtree and they often seem to have the contact details (either phone number or email) in a picture, rather than in the normal links you'd expect. A very very obvious scam, but some people must fall for it, otherwise why would they bother?

Most recently I saw one on gumtree, a 2013 T5 with 29k miles for £5995. I emailed to ask if they meant 25995 (and I'd still have been interested at that price) but was told nope, £5995 and a load of and bull to go with it (already with a shipper, send me cash by paypal now but I won't take it until you're happy with the van, etc). A simple google of the spec and it was obvious they'd nicked the whole add, pics and all, from a genuine trade website.

The name given was 'Kate Brandy' [email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is something odd going on at present, I've been looking for a T5 since before Christmas. A Shuttle with 25k keeps appearing at £3200 less than half of it's value. The adverts only appear for very brief periods, sometimes only a few hours. I did get an email from him saying it was in Scotland and offering to deliver anywhere at his cost etc, there was also a military aspect to this one, sounds similar to those mentioned.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Harsh as it may seem..anyone handing money over for a Vehicle without seeing it [especially 'too good to be true'] has only themselves to blame if they lose their money...there are so many of these [well advertised] scams going on now that you would think people would be extra careful with their 'hard earned'
You saved me writing the same thing delboy. It does seem harsh but has greed taken over common sense!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts