VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was driving and a high pitched noise developed when revving. Within a couple of minutes this was pretty noticeable, and I realised that when turning the steering wheel there was a loud grinding/squealing noise. I stopped at the first opportunity. The steering fluid had leaked out and was all over the road. It clearly hadn't come from the rack.

I walked to the local garage, bought a bottle of the green fluid, and topped the reservoir up, and then quickly drove to the garage.

The garage said the fluid had leaked out of the pump. They ordered a new pump and have now replaced it. They bled the system for ages.

Unfortunately the sound remains. Very loud when turning the wheel, and the wheel feels jerky and heavy. I haven't driven it on the road. The fluid is up to the correct level, and there is no longer any leak.

The rack was replaced a few months ago.

The garage thinks that it must be a faulty pump and have ordered a new one. They are going to replace it and they are certain that this must be the problem. From reading this forum, I understand that worn pulleys can cause noises as well but the garage can't see how that can be the case.

If not the pump, what other causes could there be? I am certain that they are going to replace the pump again and it will be the same story.

I am currently stuck in Cornwall so any help would be great.

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got the same... Pulley driving the AC sheared off and pumped fluid all over the place. Now have new genuine pump. Collected from garage.. silent for all of one mile now constant low pitched squeal proportionate to revs and much loader when turning wheel. Lifted the car last night and turned wheel with no load and all quiet and smooth. This morning quiet again for one minute then now back the same.

Any ideas?

Driving to Italy in 2 weeks so any idea if going to get there?
Bl**dy van

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's been a few days so I thought I'd report progress.

The van went into an independent garage. They diagnosed a leak from the steering pump.
They replaced the steering pump, and the new one sounded terrible. They couldn't bleed it.
They decided that the 'new' steering pump must be defective, so replaced it with another of a different brand.
This seemed to solve the problem.

I then drove 180 miles without problem, though there did seem to be a slight noise when steering tight corners.
Next day, I set off on a long drive but 30 mins in the steering was making a racket again. I stopped, and there was fluid around the reservoir. I limped back home, with the noise getting steadily worse, and when I reached home the noise was terrible again. The fluid had poured out of the top of the reservoir (seemingly though the small hole in the cap) and there was fluid all over the headlight!

It then went to another garage, where they took everything off (pump, AC compressor, alternator. All they could find wrong was a slightly loose alternator gates coupling, so they replaced that with a new one and put everything back together.

Since I picked it up, it is still making a bit of a noise (whine, increasing in volume and tone when revving) and more noticeable when steering. It's not as bad as it was, but it's definitely still there and I fully expect it to get worse.

So... so far, it has had: New pump (last week), new rack (a few months ago), new AC gates coupling (two weeks ago), new alternator gates coupling (yesterday).
Currently there are no signs of any leaks but it sounds as if air could be getting into the system. Why it is not bleeding out by itself I do not know.

When the engine is running, the fluid seems to be flowing through the reservoir very happily. This indicates there is not a fluid blockage anywhere I think. There is definitely no fluid coming from anywhere on the rack.

Any ideas please? I am fast running out of patience and money!

Many thanks
Richard.

NB Its a 2.5 litre 174 T5 with aircon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds so familiar...

I now have new genuine VW PS pump. Was OK for about a mile and then started whining all the time proportionate to rpm and more noise when turning. Tried jacking it up and moving wheel slowly to clear possible air but to no avail. I want to take it back to garage but I'm mindful they may suspect the rack since pump is new and that would be even more money!
Any ideas? Could it be the new pump is faulty?

Stoo

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have finally got to the bottom of this (I hope).

It seems as if the garage that replaced the steering pump in the first place had put the wrong fluid in. They put the green Comma CHF fluid in it, which the VW garage said did not meet the correct spec. They suggested that the easiest thing to try first of all was to simply replace the fluid with the correct one recommended by VE. This seems t have done the trick. I have now driven the van nearly 1000 miles and everything seems fine.

Not quite sure what to do about the £500 I spent on subsequent garage bills (on top of the original bill for the new pump), the £120 wasted ferry tickets to france, or the fact I missed a two week holiday to France! Any suggestions?

ST002: did you solve your issue? If not, I suggest changing the fluid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mechanic thinks it's pressure relief valve in the rack. Can't see it myself otherwise if it were bypassing the rack I'd have little/no power assistance. Anyway with no leaks reported I've instructed him to replace the fluid as first step. If it is the rack I'll just wait for it to fail as it's working fine - just noisy.

Stuart

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have finally got to the bottom of this (I hope).

It seems as if the garage that replaced the steering pump in the first place had put the wrong fluid in. They put the green Comma CHF fluid in it, which the VW garage said did not meet the correct spec. They suggested that the easiest thing to try first of all was to simply replace the fluid with the correct one recommended by VE. This seems t have done the trick. I have now driven the van nearly 1000 miles and everything seems fine.

Not quite sure what to do about the £500 I spent on subsequent garage bills (on top of the original bill for the new pump), the £120 wasted ferry tickets to france, or the fact I missed a two week holiday to France! Any suggestions?

ST002: did you solve your issue? If not, I suggest changing the fluid.
Hi richlowndes

You will see I have been posting on everyones threads about steering noise. Took mine for a service today. Garage reported there is a PS fluid leak (pipe is porous?!?!?) anyway, they says they are pricing up parts, in the meantime they have topped up the fluid.

On the way home it was making a right noise- jsut as you describe. The only thing they have changed is the fluid. Can you give me any more specifics on the 'wrong' one your garage used, and the 'correct' one they should have used?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts