VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Awning advice required....
Bought my van approx 4 years ago with the Fiama F45s attached (excellent condition, rarely used except to attach drive away awning too) so here's the problem...

Noticed a while back squeaking noise from the awning. On closer inspection the bolts that attach the bracket to the van loose...
Now these brackets were bolted onto the body of the van and not attached to the gutter, I assume because it's a pop top and it wouldn't close if brackets attached to gutter. See images below. I have took off the awning and one of the brackets came off with it
, could have been a disaster if fell off in transit and it's caused some minor bodywork damage...

So options... Do I bolt the brackets back on using new bolts, do I try the brackets in the gutter but therefore top pop wouldn't close or get a different awning, a smaller, lightweight one (fiama weighs a tonne)

Any advice appreciated or thoughts....( please see images to see what I mean)

·
Registered
620 Posts
That is how I fitted the rear of our fiamma with a pop top and it's been fine, I'd replace with new bolts but also bond the bracket to the van with sikaflex or similar.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Wouldn't use self tappers on a load like that. You'll be able to get some big nutserts in there. You could swing an elephant off it then...

but, being an Engineer I'd get the welder out and fabricate a new bracket which would pick up on some of the gutter positions whereever possible

There are brackets available for this but they probably wont work "out of the box" with your pop top but that's never stopped me!

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/carava...MgQfUKlJQ2smUJNrEh9YsiMHJioFA0M1hMaAg_O8P8HAQ

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I agree with Bobley in that rivnuts are the way forward...

and a thin coating of sikaflex to help bond it to the bodywork...

gives a solid fixing with no hint of give or play. Different awning but same brackets T:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi sturgy,
Looks good. Rivets Definately the way to go...
any advice on size of nuts or tool used to do it?

Cheers
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
M6 at a guess. Use steel 5 or 6mm rivnuts. I've got one of the cheap £30 jobbies and I've destroyed it pretty quickly and welded it up so I should really get a decent one. Perhap is you buy a nice one and use it I'll buy it off you!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts