VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
A couple of people have mentioned using magnets inside the pole rail on their awnings to attach them to the van - can anyone point me in the right direction of some good ones as despite using pipe lagging over the straps i have marks on the bonnet due to the wind whipping them about? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not sure about magnets, but have you thought of using suction cup dent pullers? I have not yet tried them but have bought a couple to use on the roof as tie down points for a small Army Basha with some poles and lines etc.

Just a thought.

DavidT:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried neodynium magnets from fleabay, cheap as chips and very very blood blister strong. They still flip off in a wind.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We saw a van with a suction mounted awning this summer in the lakes. In the morning after heavy winds the family were up early looking at their van because the suction cups had torn off in the wind and had beaten the heck out of his bonnet and roof. Easily 20 or 30 good sized dents.

Use a rail.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We saw a van with a suction mounted awning this summer in the lakes. In the morning after heavy winds the family were up early looking at their van because the suction cups had torn off in the wind and had beaten the heck out of his bonnet and roof. Easily 20 or 30 good sized dents.

Use a rail.
Think your right - but £160 is a lot of money for an awning attachment - but then cheaper than beating out and respraying the bonnet

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
85 Posts
After reading a post in here somewhere, I have bought some aluminum awning rail from a caravan shop for £12. I plan to hide this in the rain channel and glue it with sikaflex/similar. I don't want to screw it though but some say you should...
I've got a Khyam with an awning and crossed fingers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading a post in here somewhere, I have bought some aluminum awning rail from a caravan shop for £12. I plan to hide this in the rain channel and glue it with sikaflex/similar. I don't want to screw it though but some say you should...
I've got a Khyam with an awning and crossed fingers.
Feedback on your success would be appreciated :) As i have a few months before she will go camping anyway

·
Registered
558 Posts
FOUND THIS PIC....not my van.....(bit messy:confused:)

mine is stuck ,and im using a khyam driveaway with no probz:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
u cant see it..........without really trying......................
only paint top bud........
make sure u (scotch)scratch lighty where u r gonna stick......

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
u cant see it..........without really trying......................
only paint top bud........
make sure u (scotch)scratch lighty where u r gonna stick......
Problem is the van is parked outside our bedroom window, so every morning when we open curtains we see the top of it, trust me, it needs to blend in :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
well?????
if nobody else is waking up with u in UR bedroom dont see what problem is???LOL:

just paint top of ally rail ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts