VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a drive-away awning that i want to attach to the van but don't fancy drilling a permanent rail into the bodywork. Throwing straps over the van is probably the best bet but has anyone had any success with a magnetic/sucker fitting kit on a van with a pop-top?

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Magnetic ones are garbage , they just pull off even with a slight breeze.
Depending on what poptop you have then just get a rail that fits in the roof guttering and use the existing bolts holes that are in there from factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Magnetic ones are garbage , they just pull off even with a slight breeze.
Depending on what poptop you have then just get a rail that fits in the roof guttering and use the existing bolts holes that are in there from factory.
I had a quick look last night and I think the struts for the pop top (Skyline) would stop any rail being fitted in the gutter. My next thought is something on the bodywork but that would be covered by the roof when it is down - again not sure if there’s room though.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
I can't offer much in the way of info but there must be a way as I've seen lots pop top campers with awnings.

Surely you could use the gutter rail fixing while in situ with the pop top up, then disconnect, drop the pop top and go on your adventure.

Maybe post a pic of how the pop top interacts with the gutters so we can offer more help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I’ve just bought an in-gutter one from lightning leisure. Reading all the reviews / notes it seems to fit in the gutter using the existing VW holes and then the pop top just fits back over the top.

Once it’s arrived and I’ve fitted it, (hopefully this weekend), I’ll let you know how it goes if you want

1 - 5 of 5 Posts