VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hope you're all enjoying the sun?

We're hoping to try a few nights in our (new to us) T4 camper, it came with an old Khyam awning (blimmin' massive!),it's a bit ropey but I reckon it'll do for a couple of nights. The guy I bought the van from used a pole and clamp kit to secure it to the multi-rail but he didn't pass it on; looking in the awning bag there are a few lengths of figure 8 strips and I reckon it would work well if I put the awning bead into one slot and then slotted the other groove onto the top part of the rail (gutter?), it looks too simple to be true, has anyone tried this, is there something I'm missing or should I buy a pole/clamp kit?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi wannavan,

I don't have Reimo multi-rail so my advice is purely based on what I've seen / read on the web.

Couple of past forum posts:

Reimo Multi Rail

Multirail pole and clamp kit

Sounds like both Kador strip and pole & clamp methods work on the multi-rail. But there are considerations for both methods.

If you already have the plastic figure of 8 strips, then perhaps try finding a Kador strip like this to feed between your rail and the figure of 8:

One thing to note: the beading diameter on the Kador strip required to attach awning to the vehicle CAN VARY depending on the brand of the rail and awning. Usually, it's 6mm diameter, but I remember reading about Khyam and Reimo having a different diameter (7 or 8, even 9mm?) beading / rail. You can get a double bead Kador strip with different diameter on each edge, so you just need to find out what size you'll need for your multi-rail edge. Also, it's worth mentioning that the diameter is usually measured as the inner plastic beading diameter (not the absolute diameter of the beading, including the outer fabric); you can try to measure the gap on your rail and see which diameter beading Kador strip you'll need to purchase.

Or you can just get a pole + clamp system, but some complain about the metal clamp scratching the rail, not as strong as the Kador strip (given that the right size beading is fed), etc.

I'm sure others who actually have Reimo multi-rail will come by and post something more helpful, but hopefully the above will help you in the meantime to ponder on which method might suit your need.

Happy camping!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for that, one of the linked threads has a poster saying that they use the method I'm considering so maybe it's a goer!T:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I couldn't be doing with all that so attached longer cord to awning and over the van it goes couple pegs sweet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts