VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.... Today I have swapped the cam on a 2.5 AXD engine, and have come to install the cam drive gear, and I feel uncomfortable proceeding.
My problem is, the gear won't slide up the the diamond washer, it binds on the intermediate gear, and I don't want to drive it on with the bolt for obvious reasons. The crank is set to TDC, and the cam is set, using the locking tool set.
When I adjusted the intermediate gear, I didn't have a torque wrench that goes that low, so just used finger tip pressure on a 3/8" ratchet and the special tool. Can anyone confirm whether the gear should butt up to the diamond washer, or whether resistance is normal? Also, the torque applied to the cam gear as the bolt is tightened, what purpose does that serve...... is this to enable the cam gear to slide up to the washer?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi all.... Today I have swapped the cam on a 2.5 AXD engine, and have come to install the cam drive gear, and I feel uncomfortable proceeding.
My problem is, the gear won't slide up the the diamond washer, it binds on the intermediate gear, and I don't want to drive it on with the bolt for obvious reasons. The crank is set to TDC, and the cam is set, using the locking tool set.
When I adjusted the intermediate gear, I didn't have a torque wrench that goes that low, so just used finger tip pressure on a 3/8" ratchet and the special tool. Can anyone confirm whether the gear should butt up to the diamond washer, or whether resistance is normal? Also, the torque applied to the cam gear as the bolt is tightened, what purpose does that serve...... is this to enable the cam gear to slide up to the washer?
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the intermediate gear and the cam gear slid straight on, suppose I'd better get another new bolt for the eccentric adjuster now. Curiously though, the eccentric adjuster will turn a full 360` (admittedly without the cam cap fitted) now, where previously I met resistance after about 1/8th of a turn....further investigation needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts