VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Firstly sincere thanks to all members for the fantastic advice and knowledge on the site.

I have an issue with my 2005 2.5 AXD engine. There was a lot of noise from the head and my VW trained mechanic striped the head down and found badly worn hydraulic followers but the cam appeared ok. The followers were replaced and engine rebuilt it started and ran well but there was still noise (albeit less noise) from the head which sound very like the following clip:

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/martin33100/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_1416_zps48931e3d.mp4.html

My question to the collective wisdom- is it possible and or likely that the cam is worn enough to be noisy but not to have significant wear evident or is it likely that the source of the noise is elsewhere e.g. small end bearings or the like?

I ask as I am prepared to spend the money to replace the cam but do not want to do so unless it is actually worn!

Thanks in advance

David

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Hello all,
Firstly sincere thanks to all members for the fantastic advice and knowledge on the site.

I have an issue with my 2005 2.5 AXD engine. There was a lot of noise from the head and my VW trained mechanic striped the head down and found badly worn hydraulic followers but the cam appeared ok. The followers were replaced and engine rebuilt it started and ran well but there was still noise (albeit less noise) from the head which sound very like the following clip:

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/martin33100/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_1416_zps48931e3d.mp4.html

My question to the collective wisdom- is it possible and or likely that the cam is worn enough to be noisy but not to have significant wear evident or is it likely that the source of the noise is elsewhere e.g. small end bearings or the like?

I ask as I am prepared to spend the money to replace the cam but do not want to do so unless it is actually worn!

Thanks in advance

David
I am sorry to say I don't rate your "VW trained mechanic" that much if he changed the followers and put the old cam back in, you can get a complete replacement cam kit for around £280-£300 so why risk it.
If it need stripping out again it's the front off and another set of stretch bolts for the rockers and cam caps.
May be worth you having a look at this thread:-
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=800498

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Martin,
Thank you for the swift reply I was not sure of the etiquette re your thread i.e. hijack yours or start a new one.

I hope I did not offend you.

David

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
No offence taken, most of us here on the forum are hear to help.
I didn't actually start that last thread reference the cam change but as I changed mine in September last year I am always willing to help others with the same issue.
I don't work for VW but I did my apprenticeship many years ago with Warsila Diesels building and repairing Diesel and Gas engines.
Rebuilding engines at most dealers is a thing of the past, if you actually asked a young recently trained car mechanic to use a bore gauge, micrometer up a crank or use plasti gauge to work out the running clearances of a bearing I doubt they would know what they were on about.
They are tought now a days to get a new engine from the crate and fit it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts