VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to try replacing ABS sensors on the rear of my T5.1 T30 so looking for recommendations for some axle stands as I'm going to be removing the wheels and working underneath. Found these from Halfords. Are they any good? Any other suggestions?
I'll be using the standard jack to raise the rear using the official jacking points, so where should I place the axle stands? Seen lods of threads saying it's obvious but when you're not even a mechanical novice (that's me!) I'm needing some help. Pictures would be super helpful. Sadly, if you tell me to use XXX (named part) I'm probably just going to ask you where this is.
Also, I'm only doing the near side sensor at the moment. Is it OK to just put a stand on that side, or should I put one each side?

·
Premium Member
2011 T5.1 SWB 2.0L manual
678 Posts
I have the car suitable ones...2T I think...they`re great axle stands. I might get a set of these ones myself.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am with B&T - something better needed.

Don’t think I would want to spend any time under a van supported by a couple of cast iron ratchets - too brittle and too sensitive to bad casting. Had a pair of India made upholstery scissors snap in half once. I only ended up with a hole on my hand, not my head....

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I've been using a pair of these ones for about 6 years now: Halfords 3 Tonne Axle Stands | Halfords UK

Been spot on.

Did my ABS sensor the other week. Jacked up and then axle stand under the ARB mount. Lower the jack so it's still there as a backup in case either the stand or the jack fails (but I use a Halfords professional 3t low entry jack - well worth the money).

ABS sensor itself was a real pain but got there in the end by drilling/hacking it out. Mate recently paid 180 quid at VW to get one done. 18 quid part off eBay and an hour of my time - job done.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am with B&T - something better needed.
Hmmm! That's got me thinking.

Reason for the axle stands is that I don't trust the standard jack. Pretty certain we have a few good sized occasional tables logs from a tree that the neighbours had cut down a few years ago. Tempted to go for a trolley jack with the log as the fail safe. Madly browsing through videos that might show where to put an axle stand and all of them just use a trolley for all suspension / wheel jobs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been using a pair of these ones for about 6 years now: Halfords 3 Tonne Axle Stands | Halfords UK

Been spot on.

Did my ABS sensor the other week. Jacked up and then axle stand under the ARB mount. Lower the jack so it's still there as a backup in case either the stand or the jack fails (but I use a Halfords professional 3t low entry jack - well worth the money).

ABS sensor itself was a real pain but got there in the end by drilling/hacking it out. Mate recently paid 180 quid at VW to get one done. 18 quid part off eBay and an hour of my time - job done.
Thanks. I think that's the one I was looking at.
ARB is anti roll bar? what am I looking for (sorry, I did warn about my complete lack of knowledge of things mechanical)

Trolley jacks - would something like this be good enough Halfords 2 Tonne Hydraulic Trolley Jack or is it better to go for the 3 tonne (or something else?)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'd personally go for a 3t jack. When my old 2t Halfords jack died I upgraded and the difference is night and day. New one is epic - one of the best bits of kit I use.

ARB mount, the part on the right of this pic (Google Image Result for https://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/images/productsbig/va5978_vw_t5_t6_transporter_h&r_h_and_r_anti_roll_bar_suspension_arb_s_1035_i.jpg). So the ARB ends on the swing arm and it's the mount to the chassis you can shove an axle stand under. Looks wrong but was assured by a friend who knows his way around Transporters as well as anyone else in the UK that it's a good place for it. Never had a problem...

Sorry, yes. ARB, anti roll bar.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Im with davey
Never use a trolley jack with a log as a "fail-safe" a log is risking catching and crushing parts of the body that aren't up to support as its too big
use a trolley jack a properly rated quality axle stand (2ton is more than rated for one corner of a van even 2 ton per pair) and put the wheel you removed under the sill as an if all goes wrong fail-safe

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Yes proper stands are better than off cuts because theyre designed for that purpose 👍
Careful placement is needed but anything is better than a jack alone when working underneath any vehicle capable of crushing you.
Stands are cheap, if you have solid ground to work on then thats the recommended way to go 100% 👍

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I personally never really find the need to go under the vehicle on axle stands
I use them one corner at a time if the job allows to work in the arches on brakes suspension etc underside jobs like exhaust waxoyl handbrake cable diesel tank etc i do with wheels on useing ramps i cant think of any job ive done that requires my body under the van with the van on stands ??
If i could then that's a job for a 2 post lift surely?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Having said that rear arb would be impossible with the stand points i use so 2 post job although if you put the van on stands to do rear arb(stands in a different place) you still wouldn't need to get under the van to do the job

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
I used to work under motors everyday and didnt always have the lifts available to be able to do what was needed without resorting to crawling under things ( often at the side of the road) .
Even just having your legs or feet underneath while you swing on a stubborn bolt could potentially end badly .
I still cant physically fit under our van on the ramps we have .....and no its not because i'm fat 🤪

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll risk as far as changing a tyre at the side of the road using a single 2 ton bottle jack or at home with a 2 ton trolley jack and never put myself in a precarious position such as legs under the vehicle or such like.
I had a very close call years back when a trolley jack flew apart under the back of a tractor I was doing a tyre repair on, I was 2 seconds from losing both arms or crippled for life.
If I'm working on one corner, such as brakes etc I'll use the 5 ton bottle jack and a couple of 3 ton axle stands, (same design as the Halfords in afferis2 post, also have two 2 ton stands similar design as in DaveyB post).
If I have to raise one end completely I use a 5 ton bottle jack plus all 4 axle stands, and the jack stays under too.
Otherwise I use ramps plus the two 3 ton stands.
It's not worth taking risks, it only needs to go wrong once!

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Go with a 3T trolley jack, used a 2T one and it sounded like it was about ro break in half, it doesn't sound the best when I use it to jack my car!

I've got a halforss 3T trolley jack, nothing fancy just the standard one at £64? I think it is, it does the job perfectly, have a set of 2T axle stands too, just used them for the job on the day, not a leave over night think. Trolley jack stays in a place to be a fail safe if worst come to worst.👍

1 - 20 of 50 Posts