VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a set of B piller decals made of a thick textured vinyl. They are bigger then the pillers are they supposed to tuck in around the windows and am I supposed to remove window rubbers?

any help would be appreciated, I know a few of you have these. The ones I have are off of ebay but come from a proper shop seller.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Would assume so if they are similar to the T4 ones, tuck under the seals.

Spray bottle of soapy water, keep all surfaces wet to prevent sticking till ur happy with where they are, then squeegy the water out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh man, I tried these out on mine.
Thought to myself "It's only some stickers. Hell I'll be done before breakfast."
No!
Unless the ones I bought were actualy for a Beford Rascal, they did NOT fit propperly. Tried to trim them, but they tore.
End result: Half a T4 with lovely black pillars, and half the bus with scrappy torn black tape.
I'm guna start again with spray paint I think. How hard can that be? I'll be done in time for a beer with the lads :D

TC

·
Registered
474 Posts
Would assume so if they are similar to the T4 ones, tuck under the seals.

Spray bottle of soapy water, keep all surfaces wet to prevent sticking till ur happy with where they are, then squeegy the water out.
you use soapy water even if they're self adhesive?? confused.com!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yep, water plus little a dash of washing up liquid in an old window cleaning bottle with spray nozzle thing (very well cleaned out) T:

keep all the surfaces nice and wet so they glide around easily before making proper contact.

make sure the van is well washed first or you'll wash dirt out from under the seals with ur sprayer as you stick them.

Good luck :ILU:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well i never!
I'm currently waiting for my decals to arrive in the post and was wondering what's the best way to get them to fit in the right place first time but if this soap methos allows you to move them into position then that sounds like a winning method!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ah the copying guy. I believe the guy who actually made these originally got his designs copied by that guy. Unfortunately the ones he received just so happen to be slightly oversized wonder how that happened :p so now his copied ones are the wrong size.
Also don't fit these wet as the corners don't stick and they will attract dust and go a bit rammy. T:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and there was me thinking i was being thick and sounding stupid for posting!

Mine are ebay specials but I think they came from autozap.... not 100%, but i offered them up and they look like they fit well lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ah the copying guy. I believe the guy who actually made these originally got his designs copied by that guy. Unfortunately the ones he received just so happen to be slightly oversized wonder how that happened :p so now his copied ones are the wrong size.
Also don't fit these wet as the corners don't stick and they will attract dust and go a bit rammy. T:
Care to enlighten us Monza? Sounds like there's some bad blood knocking about?
Autozap was the only place i could find that did them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fitted mine dry on my T4 and made a complete mess of it, ordered some more of E-bay and
second time they look great. Would I do it again -never.
Stay clear I say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ah, just had an email from Scott (Monza) saying i should have a read of this thread.

My name is Dan Knight, i run VolkswagenStickers, have done since 2005 time. We do a lot of reproduction style decals for old volkswagens and new.

We came up with the T5 b pillar decals a good few years since, never available from Volkswagen as im sure you are all aware. We made the decal from sizing, trailing, and using the T4 decal basis of overlapping edges etc.
A painstaking task to do but worth it to get it right.

Firstly to mention, the fitment is relatively easy, but i would say that as i do it for a job!

The keys to fitment are get the area clean and dry, never ever fit the decals wet, wet fitment is fine for large area's of vinyl, but with the decals in question, you will never get the corners to sit down, and will remain wet and attract dirt and grime within seconds.

The most important factor with fitment is temperature, i can not stress enough how important it is, the surface needs to be at least 16oC

Failure to do this will make the vinyl brittle and impossible to move without ripping, at temperature the textured vinyl is really easy to move and much better than thinner vinyl too as it has rigidity when moving into place.

We are currently working on fitment video's / guides for all our decals, but it is quite a major task we are finding. You tube is always good for getting a rough idea of what to do, and what not to do in some cases!

The other "bad blood" issue Monza mentioned, well what can i say, total shock to us as a company.

We have traded online like i said for just over 5 years, with a great following and feedback, we take great care in our items, quality, and service.

About 2 years ago we had about 3 email a month from people asking about sizing on the T4 b pillar decals, who had previously bought their items from another ebay user. They complained of sizing issues and vinyl quality.

So we listed our items as correctly sized etc

We later find out the other seller was Autozaps.
Weeks after he bought one of our t4 kits, and then few week after, our t5 kit.

It was only a matter of time before we noticed his amended listing, and the T5 items for sale, he just undercut us by a few quid.

He was reported to ebay for this and nothing was done, so we just took it on the chin and continued.

I will shorten the story down as it is quite a lot and i don't want to make it all so public.

He visited our website, and ordered one of every item we sell Our sales lady flagged this order straight away

It was addressed to an RAF base and name "RAF vw club"
We contacted the buyer, who we later find out runs autozaps, and spoke to him and he said the orders were from various members of his vw club on the raf base and abroad. We even jokingly said about how people like to copy our items, he laughed and said "i bet"

Months later autozaps has a website a total copy of ours, ebay listings with the wording cut and pasted from ours, ripped off our logo, site, items, and even the documents we sent out with orders.

We were absolutely devastated, this is someone who we have never met or done anything to?

It would have been easier if he had of just come and robbed our house of all our goods.

Ebay were contacted about his listings being copied from us, and ebay listened to our claim, saw he had ordered off us previously etc

So they deleted the auctions.
Autozaps man sent us emails mouthing off at us, saying that i had no right to do what we did, his main reason for it was "well your stuff is just copys of volkswagens original stickers"

Interesting way to look at it, but that does not give him the right to buy all our stuff and just copy it, and furthermore out of the products he bought, 40% of them were never available from VW and our own designs.

I spent months of my life driving up and down the country, in scrap yards, forums finding vehicles and working off bodywork to make the designs to my specifications. Only for him to cut all that out by just buying our decals, soul destroying.

He persisted in adding the auctions to ebay and i was later informed that his account got deleted.

We later found out aswell that by pure accident, our production lady had made an error with some of his order, the t5 decals were part of that order, sized 10% too much, setting on the plotter was passed over from a previous job.

We still get emails to date from people complaining to us about items, only to find out they were bought from autozaps, when they thought we were the same company.

We had a set sent to us, and even his copys are sized wrong, one in particular had about 3mm extra in the height.

Solicitors were contacted and legal routes were considered, but at the end of the day we were advised court action would be costly to peruse, and there is nothing to stop him doing it again!

To rub salt in the wound we have found out he operates all this from an RAF base, using their equipment, so good to know my taxes are helping him earn money.

He also visited as many forums and contacted them about trade, i do believe he is a paid trader on here last time i looked.

He is banned from ebay, ClubG40, ClubPolo and Brickyard from what i found out.

I do not want to turn this post into a slagging match at all, i have never even posted these details online since all this kicked off 2 years ago, but i just wanted to get my facts across.

If anyone has bought the T5 pillar items from Autozaps, then i will happily give a decent discount on sending out correct items.

We are the only seller of the T5 b pillar kits on bay (for the time being!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T5-Transporter-B-Pillar-Decal-Sticker-NEW-/170580522095?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b764346f#ht_605wt_907

If anyone has any questions about fitment or the product, please drop me a pm or an email

[email protected]

thanks

Dan Knight

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah thats the guy, funny aswell the items in the pictures some of those are items bought off us, i remember cutting them out.

just for reference, i dont want to get in trouble for trading rules etc have a look at our site for the similarities.
www.volkswagenstickers.co.uk

He also did the same to another ebay user

mosake-partners, copied their westfalia decals

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Westfalia-Atlantic-decals-Side-Stripes-Free-p-p-/370435772967?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item563fb15227#ht_500wt_1156

Spoke with the guy there and he went through the same as us

·
Registered
654 Posts
It appears I bought mine from autozaps (Via this very site, check out made by for in the classifields)I:
and yes they where defintly oversize!!

I did actually PM him about help with fitting and got ignored!!

Time to come off and a new set to go on then I guess!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It appears I bought mine from autozaps (Via this very site, check out made by for in the classifields)I:
and yes they where defintly oversize!!

I did actually PM him about help with fitting and got ignored!!

Time to come off and a new set to go on then I guess!!
Bugger, I've done exactly the same, although I was waiting for some warmer weather and haven't got around to trying to fit them yet. Obviously I'm not going to bother now if it sounds like a waste of time.

Oh well you live and learn....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have just brought some from eBay... After reading this,I quickly checked my account to see who I got them from,and I'm happy to say I choose right!! Phew!! Havnt fitted them yet,but glad I read this and found out about the temp of the van before application.guess I'l have to wait for dry day & get the hair dryer out to heat the metal....!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts