VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Hi does anyone know anyone in or around the worcester area who can fit my b post blackout kit,or just a bit of advice on how to go about it
cheers:ILU:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to jump on the back of your post Mozzman but I have bought a B+C post blackout kit for my Velle and it came with no instructions. Have emailed the seller on ebay but so far no feedback or tips.
Not sure if you are supposed to wet the area down to allow some slippage so that you can get them lined up before the adhesive grabs.
Any tips or advice gratefully received ...... ideally I want to fit'em before I go to the Tatton Park dub show this coming weekend (I think).

Cheers
Garf

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Same principal as window tint film. A couple of drops of washing up liquid in a squirty bottle of distilled water, wet well on both surfaces and apply. Then its just a case of squeegeeing out the water when its in position. Saying that i sprayed painted my A pillars which was much easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cheers Jimmy, I will give it a try. I did consider spraypainting the pillars and may well revisit that idea if I make a town halls of fitting the vinyl.
Garf

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yep as above, take time to line it up and put it on slowly to push any water/air bubbles out.
I used a credit card to push the vinyl behind the window rubbers.
Bit of fiddly job but well worth it.

Carl.:ILU:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tried an failed !!! Started on the C posts because they looked most fiddly. Did N/S OKish after a lot of effing and jeffing. Pig of a job, especially getting the vinyl behind the seals on the curved sections top and bottom. Then started on the O/S and made a cods of the first one, had a hissy fit and ripped the lot off.

Also noticed that the N/S and O/S stickers supplied in the kit were exact mirror images BUT on the N/S the vinyl folds over the edge of the slider and the panel but obviously the O/S doesnt (there is just the panel sealant between the two panels.) If I had got as far as fitting the N/S I dont know how I would have dealt with the join because each sticker would have been approx 5mm too wide. I suppose I could have trimmed them but then I would have had a nice white line down the middle.

Consequently I have a b post kit that will be sold sometime soon.

Masking off and spraying a satin black would seem like the best way forward for me. Any tips on surface prep and how to deal with the seals much appreciated as I havent done much spraying except a few plastic side panels off my bike.

Cheers
Garf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad I am not the only one struggling with these things. I was feeling a little incompetent that I could not stick on a vinyle without bubbles and must be the only person to have messed up like that.

I bought the more expensive set off ebay, thinking they would be easier to fit. Tried my best with the first sticker and just could not get rid of a few tiny bubbles. Following day those bubbles were quite large and the panel just looked diseased ! Tried to pull off and reset it, but there is a risk of creasing/ripping the vinyl. It helped a little. Finally resorted to popping the large bubbles., but it still looks **** (great from a distance, but you notice it going in/out the door)

I emailed the seller asking for advice, but he has not replied. I even asked if a could buy a replacement sticker for the one I messed up (rather than a whole set).

My advice is to get them professionaly fitted or spray the area cos even a tiny bubble just looks **** and will irritate you every time you look at it - especially when you compare with factory fitted window/door blackout vinyles which are perfect.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My factory applied blackouts have bubbled where they join over the seal/panel join so don't give yourselves too hard a time.:)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
to spray your pillars, just rub down area to get a key, nice and smooth, mask off area and surrounding area with news paper, spray primer and then sand a couple of times, followed by top coat and sand wet dry to get a smooth finish, finally laquer, good luck:ILU:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have read somewhere that surface prepping of decent original paint before respraying can be done with some sort of automotive plastic scouring pad. Anybody any experience of these ?

Garf

·
Registered
335 Posts
red scotch brite :) its all u need - its basically as u say, a red plastic based scouring pad - used for keying up paintwork etc ready for re paint!! used it millions of times :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts