VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Myself and the Miss's are expecting our 1st little'un in December and are wondering if it is true that you are not aloud to put a baby seat in the front (captain seat) ?!:confused:
Can anyone confirm this :D
Cheers

·
Registered
769 Posts
I haven't heard this!

I do know that if you have Air Bags you have to turn them off or if you can't you can not put a baby seat in the front.T:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My boy has always gone up front in captains seat. facing backwards at first, now he nearly 1
he got front facing seat and loves it, dont think there is a safety law on this as have approved seat for the van.
the only winge i get is from the misses who sits in the back lol
Jonesy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Our baby's been up front with me since her first T25 outing at 6 weeks. Meant Mrs Mog spent 2 summers in the back sat above the noisy engine driving round France though ..... ahh...... happy memories LOL:
Now we're in our T4, the baby's up front with us on a twin passenger seat and forward facing.
I think the reason for not putting babies up front is as mentioned earlier - you have to switch the airbag off. If you can't they need to go in the back.T:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T: cheers guys that's good news, just got to find a seat now that is ok to use in both the van and a Seat Ibiza !! One thing i can't stand is shopping but needs must i suppose LOL:

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
yes def only issue with baby seats is the no airbag on rear facing seats

i use car seat in my van at least once a week.

my little girl loves sitting up front in the van.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Baby should face backwards until he/she weighs around 10kg... Its safer for the baby to face backwards as long as possible. I can really recommend the Concord Ultimax... cost about £130ish but was the best seat i could find.. It fits amazing well (solid as a rock once its fitted properly) fully adjustable and suitable from birth-3 years...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not all vans have seats in the back, are you supposed to let the little critters rattle around in the back?

My neice and nephew are up front and loving it:cool:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Not all vans have seats in the back, are you supposed to let the little critters rattle around in the back?
It's hard to tell without smillies, but I presume that's meant to be tongue in cheek I:

Had my first little lad in the front of the van since birth. He's now 5 and refuses to go in the back. His little brother is 2 and now refuses to go in the back after recently discovering the joys of the front.
Poor mum has to sit in the back every journey T:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Gotta agree on the Concord Ultimax. We've got two. Wouldn't buy anything else if I needed another.

You might find an angled gear lever extention coming towards the driver will help when the car seat is in the middle of a bench seat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hay guys ive got the same sort of problem my mrs is due in Jan and we only have 2 seats in the van whatever am i to do?

does anyone know if i can swap a captian seat in the front for a double bench seat?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hay guys ive got the same sort of problem my mrs is due in Jan and we only have 2 seats in the van whatever am i to do?

does anyone know if i can swap a captian seat in the front for a double bench seat?
Yep.. double front will bolt straight in no problem... takes a few minutes to swap them around T: Just make sure you get the right year front double

·
Registered
136 Posts
cheers will have to have a look for a new double front seat i need one thats quite old as i have a '91 T4

I wouldnt mind one that folds down aswell so then we can put the baby (in there criby thing) on that!!

what other ways can we use for another bed for the baby/child?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Carried my boy in the front on the double seat since he was in a baby seat, now in a booster. Only problem with it was the seat got in the way changing gears if it was on the inside seat. He loves it and as far as I'm concerned its as safe as anywhere in the van. I now have a 6 month old daughter, she goes in the back on the cannon forge bed with my wife. Her car seat fits fine on the seatbelts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should be fine in the UK but seam to remember that in france you can't have children under a certain age in forward facing car seats in the front.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hi guys the wife is pregnant so i would like to know what make seat people have been using i had one in the front by the drivers door before but wondered if there was one that would fit in the middle and not get in the way of the gears i have an extension kit on already as i hate the low gear change but i have the straight up version.:confused: going to be a daddy...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts