VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We now have a little 6 month old girl, and I am thinking how are we going to grt her to and fro in the van.....we have twin captain seats up front and I dont want to fit a double!.......we have a lift out bed in the back so i'm looking to see what other t4 folk do to get their little babys about..

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The only truly safe way is to fit a double front. It's only 4 bolts and can easily be spun round when camping in just a few minutes.
I also have fitted a reimo variotech sliding seat/bed which is about the second safest option as its the only crash tested seat bed out there. Other very good quality are the rib beds. Both are very expensive new and very hard to find second hand. Driving is potentially the most dangerous thing you do.. choose the safest option that will protect your family in case of the worst happening.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I have bongo seats in the back and my 2 boys sit in there car seats fastened to the bongs , my thought are that if the worce dose happen they will be in there full high side seats i tried to get the safest most protection seats for them , I can only hope it's enough

·
Registered
759 Posts
I fitted a multivan rear bed seat but also had rearmost windows fitted to give the seatbelt mounting points the correct strength T:

·
Registered
465 Posts
If your rear bed has seatbelts and you dont want to change your fronts, then either you or the mrs drives, the other sits in the back and your baby is on the passenger seat ( in a proper baby seat obviously :D)

Your baby is now the most important thing in the world, so do whatever you have to :)

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I think some van seating has the isofix system in place - if any of yours does, i recommend it. The child seats can be expensive tho you can get a 2nd hand bargain - the person who bought ours did. Very very solid fixing, easier to take in and out too T:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I fitted a multivan rear bed seat but also had rearmost windows fitted to give the seatbelt mounting points the correct strength T:
Think you might be a bit confused about this. Fitting glass to the rear cannot possibly strengthen the seatbelt mounting points. The reinforcing that is needed is all metalwork and fitted to the van during the manufacturing process. Caravelles & factory Kombis (i.e. those fitted with side windows at the point of manufacture - this includes AA vans T:) have this fitted as standard, panel vans do not and rear seat belts cannot be safely fitted.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Think you might be a bit confused about this. Fitting glass to the rear cannot possibly strengthen the seatbelt mounting points. The reinforcing that is needed is all metalwork and fitted to the van during the manufacturing process. Caravelles & factory Kombis (i.e. those fitted with side windows at the point of manufacture - this includes AA vans T:) have this fitted as standard, panel vans do not and rear seat belts cannot be safely fitted.
I have a WV2 chassis ex AA fitted with side windows from the factory with the correct threaded sectione for the rear top seatbelts.
These alone are not strong enough so the hole for rear windows were cut out and the inner and outer skins spot welded together to give the extra strength and then the factory windows were bonded in place.
I wasn't really wanting windows all round but that was the way it had to be done, simple as that T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't forget seats can be fitted that have seatbelts built in. I had 6 seats fitted in rear of 800 special with innertia seatbelts. Expensive but kids worth it! Couldn't get caravelle (you lot bought them all and turned them into campers) :D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts