VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 2.5tdi is giving me one hell of a nightmare.

I've had it nearly 2 months and I've already had it in the garage 4 times. It's had the EGR valve replace due to excessive smoke, a turbo sensor wiring loom repaired and the sensor fitted correctly.

The garage found that the exhaust manifold was leaking from the block due to 2 bolts being snapped. They found 3 oil leaks and I've been informed that the excessive smoke could be down to oil passing through turbo seals. As you can see I'm pretty annoyed.

My concern is that at around 70mph there is a loss of power and it feels like the turbo isn't boosting but there are no lights coming up on the dash. When I turn the engine off and back on whilst travelling it seems to go normal for a few miles then the problem re-occurs.

Anyone else experienced this problem? And any information on the other problems would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers.... Smokey!!!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Fraid' to say it's going into "limp" mode & you don't always get any warning lights - classic signs of turbo vanes sticking.

Members have mixed results with cleanin them - do a search via google & you should pull up loads of information.

Be prepared for a new turbo though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi mate sorry to hear that , I've currently got the same trouble with my 2.5 ,it appeared after not using the van as much anything up to 3k it drives lovely but over that it goes into limp mode ,no lights on the dash either but has stored a fault code ,can't remember the exact number but it was a wastegate /actuator fault ,looked into it a bit and people have had some success lubricating the actuator rod and working it free ,so we're trying that on mon while it's in for an MoT ,but if that dosent work it s looking like a new turbo as we're keeping our van for years and cleaning the vanes seems to bring varying results ,found on here that it either works (for a while I've been told) to even making it worse .

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hi Smokey!

Well, the problem with the turbo control is that there are lots of bits to go wrong - sticking turbo vanes, N75 'moo'valve (which control the turbo boost), leaks in the pressure side of the turbo, split intercooler core, faulty inlet pressure sensor, dodgy electrical connections.

I had a number of these on my van and the problem is when you get a mix of faults, one tends to mask another.

I would start by disconnecting the pipe that runs from the turbo to the intercooler at the turbo. Disconnect the inlet pipe to the EGR valve above the engine and seal the pipe. I used a plastic cap from a poster tube and taped it in place. You can then either make up a connection to the pipe running from to turbo and pressurise it NO MORE than 1.5bar or do what I did - just blow down it. I could fell straight away I had a leak in the inlet system - in my case it was a split intercooler. (You will need a handy spitoon to clean your lips after kissing the inlet pipe!)

Don't rule out worn seals on the connections between the various sections of the inlet, they all contribute to poor response.

The air wrench is the T5 engine's worst enemy as there's been a lot of broken exhaust studs on here. If you have rusty nuts, the best way is to be gentle with them and not stick the boot in. Unfortunately in a garage, time is money and a lot of customers wouldn't know they had the van back with a couple of broken studs.

Hope it helps....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts