Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my van checked over and came back with the following faults

1996 2.4d caravelle

2 glowplugs not working

needs new wiring loom - various wiring defects

Knocking from cylinder 4

Rattle/knock from gearbox / flywheel ( its more of a vibrating noise , when you press the clutch in noise goes)

Needs new alternator

Is this all as serious as it sounds?

If this was your van what would you do?

Any help / advice would be great T: it may cheer me up a bit - or not !

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Take it from me mate that list is not bad at all. The most worrying to the non mechanic would probably the knocking @ cylinder 4.
That is probably something as simple as a poor worn injector.
If you buy a set of new injectors and glow plugs you will be running better than ever by the sound of it.
You can get an alternator for less than £100 and as for the loom did they say which one? because if they find the fault they could probably patch it unless it has had something happen to it.
The gearbox would have to come off to sort your clutch problem and is probably the most expensive job on your 2.4 but you can get a solid flywheel conversion that will be cheaper than a dual mass. (£200)
If you could do the above yourself your probably talking around £400 for parts if you are willing to search for the cheapest.
@ a garage you are probably talking at least treble that money.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the rattle/knock from gearbox is most probably a knackered release bearing, mine was the same and disappeared when clutch pressed. will be included in a new clutch kit,
was this almost like a vibrating noise? The kind of sound you would here if a plastic cover on something was loose ? Best way i can describe it !

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Yep, I'd say release bearing, mine's the same, only at tick over when cold and at a certain rev range, around 1200 to 1500 rpm, if you press the clutch it goes away. Sounds like the undertray or something rattling like crazy, sounds really bad as it's amplified by the bellhousing.
Also 2.4 is a solid flywheel anyway, it's the one people convert to from a dualmass.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It wouldn't be the 2 glow plugs from behind the pump by any chance?:bhd

Injector cleaning is cheap enough.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep, I'd say release bearing, mine's the same, only at tick over when cold and at a certain rev range, around 1200 to 1500 rpm, if you press the clutch it goes away. Sounds like the undertray or something rattling like crazy, sounds really bad as it's amplified by the bellhousing.
Also 2.4 is a solid flywheel anyway, it's the one people convert to from a dualmass.
Ive got a 1996 2.4 and it has a duel mass clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts