VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my last T4 to fund my business venture, but always regretted it. Especially after taking delivery of its replacement, an 03 LDV Convoy, only chosen due to it being able to carry Classic Minis inside. Hated it, after the T4, it was like getting on a push bike!

Always wanted to get another and had always kept an eye on the forum, prices, etc. But didn't really have the funds spare. Then early this week, panic hit when the MOT came up on our A2 and the dinosaur van, the same day! Audi, no worries, but the LDV got a three page failure list!!. Over £800 quids worth. Just not worth fixing.

So my lovely Wife, bought me this!

Always wanted a Red X!

Just got to go up to Scotland to collect it! A:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably couldn't find one much further away, but this was exactly what I wanted. I'm sure it will be fine.
looking forward to the drive home!!A:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, had a good day Saturday, when we collected the van now christened "Joe", due to is number plate. Early flight from Exeter saw us in Glasgow for 10am to meet the seller. A quick shoofty around the van showed it to be as advertised, and better than expected TBH. Gassed up and on the Motorway, the van performed pretty well. No real problems, the temp gauge was not working for the first few miles then sprang into life and has been fine ever since. Maybe a loose connection somewhere, I'm hoping.
Had to call in at Exeter Airport to pick the car up and noticed the nice new PP Tuning side exit exhaust, was very black and sooty. This coupled with it being a little down on power compared to my old bus, makes me think that the pump timing is a tad out(?), so as the cam belt is due soon will be looking to get that sorted, as I struggled to get much more than 500 miles from a brimmed tank. The seller told me it had some diesel Rhino in it, and that's what was making it smoke. I had read this on the forum the night before collection too!

The paint was pretty flat all over, which I knew about so I've spent a bit of time getting a little shine on him. Best way to get to know a new motor - Polish it!

Recent service history and MOT show that the brakes have been overhauled but OSR back plate is rusted. The van rolled away on a slight incline yesterday even though the hand brake was firmly applied. As it was on grass, I could see the NSR had held as there was a skid mark, but the OSR had rolled. I'm thinking the rusted back plate may have caused a problem.

Still overall well pleased with the bus.
Any pointers on where to get the cambelt done down here? I'm pretty good on the spanners (restore Minis for a living), but I'm a bit panicky about this job, having never done one on a T4

·
Registered
689 Posts
check the timing yourself, honestly it's pretty easy and this is the first/only timing belt I have ever done it really does get played up a bit round here but if you follow the guide, check engine doesn't bind manually before trying to start it you cant really go wrong, well I aint yet T: get vagcom as well for the £10 lead it's well worth it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Geeo,

Cheers fr the reply, had a look about and found the recent thread on the pump timing. Will defo try that! Any particular lead for VAGCOM, or place to get it, you would recommend? Pretty eager to get to it now!

T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts