VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:bhd Lost pretty much all my gears two days ago. One minute all ok, next I shift out of first from the lights to find nothing in all gears. After some feable wobbling and pushin and pulling of the gear lever I managed to find 3rd and limp home. Fortunately the roads were quiet.

After much reasearch on Elsawin images I sussed that the gearbox selector lever and the selector shaft were the culprits.

Basically the selector lever has a toothed hole that sits on the top of the selector shaft which is equally toothed (splined) and a nut on top holds it down. BUT! because the idiots at VW did't put a big enough colar on the shaft the extremely assymetric nature of the selector, it's damper weight and the selector cable positions have meant it's worked it's way loose and partially shredded the toothed section. Without knowing the exact dims lets say for an example the shaft is 20mm diameter, the toothed section is 19mm diameter and the threaded section for the locking nut is 10mm dia. The pushing and pulling over the last 6 years has made the selector work in a rocking motion and slowly worn away at the toothed section and the slightly bigger shaft localy. Note the Locking nut was still tightly seated on top of the shaft.

So that really funks everything really, best solution is new selector and lever. I've drilled and tapped a 6mm bolt into the side of the selector lever and once relocated and the new grub screw tightened I now have gears again but I don't think this solution will hold up over time. If I had better access I'd make a thin collar and hammer the lever back onto the shaft for a tight fit and have a locking pin through the lot.

So you VW designer bods, I hope you've sorted it!

Either decent 5mm colar on the shaft (instead of the 1mm you have now) so the lever has something decent to seat onto or have the molding to the lever with a collar to the top of the splined section so it blinkin lasts!!!! (option 1's the best)

For everyones info I have a 2.5-130-2004. Engine is AWD and Box is GWB (6 speed)

If you look in the engine bay over the back of the rad bottle you can see on top of the gear box and two cables comming out of the bulk head onto a big lever. Put your hand down and grab the top of the lever and see if it wobbles in a forward - backwards direction (front/Back of van) in a rocking motion. If there's any play then you're on your way to my world!

Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great post and remedy !
Many thanks for the heads up.
T5 is over complicated for a commercial but galvy body,good fuel consumption and perfect size does it for me.T:

·
Registered
35 Posts
hello im not sure what part of the gearbox you are talking about , i lost all my gears the other day and thought it would be a linkage problem as i have had no problems at all gear wise, but the linkage is fine the shaft that goes into the gearbox itself, will now lift up by about 50 mm..and will turn but does not engage any gear, are you talking about the other end of this shaft.... sorry if thats a dim question but if i can fix it with a bit of work then thats better than the 300-700 quid e bay option thanks Simon

·
Registered
311 Posts
hello im not sure what part of the gearbox you are talking about , i lost all my gears the other day and thought it would be a linkage problem as i have had no problems at all gear wise, but the linkage is fine the shaft that goes into the gearbox itself, will now lift up by about 50 mm..and will turn but does not engage any gear, are you talking about the other end of this shaft.... sorry if thats a dim question but if i can fix it with a bit of work then thats better than the 300-700 quid e bay option thanks Simon
If you can lift that shaft up 50mm then it's probably snapped in two! Good news is the whole assembly is available as a separate part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts