VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy.

Need some advice please. Still getting used to this van business :)

I have the 2.4d with turbo conversio. 180k.

Mpg is terrible. Like £30 for 100 miles of normal driving. On the motorway i did 220 miles sat at 55/60. Boost for the turbo turned right down and still used near 3/4 tank. There must be something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Also having a cold start issue. Battery is fine but just cranks and cranks. Eventually gets going but it's a good few minutes of cranking. Starts very fast once warm. Glow plug light comes on as normal for a few seconds then goes off. Done some searching and done remember hearing any click tho when light goes off....

It's so frustrating. Van is away having the roof painted black this weekend so can't even play til next week. The cold start thing is very annoying but its more the mpg I'm worried about because it's costing me a fortune.

On the plus side I've had the van a month and love driving it. Already sorted loads of bits out. Lowered it etc :)

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
With regards to the starting issue, I had a similar problem, it turned out to be a fuse in the engine bay under a plastic cover(located above the drivers side wheel arch). It was 50 amp if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

My first point of call is to look/replace the fuse. After I've found it!

I've assumes leaky fuel pump. How can I tell/see this. Thought about maybe the timing too as it's really lumpy when cold. Its in for a cambelt on Thursday so hopefully they will sort the timing out then if there's a problem

Thanks

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Hi mate
You should be doing 300 miles to 40 litres around 35 mpg does fuel gauge work properly as this is a common fault with the early vans the timing needs to be set with a dial gauge but the garage doing the belts should know this

good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate. Will mmention it to the garage when it's done. I think the gauge works OK. Seems to go up the right amount when I put the fuel in

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painter couldn't start the van earlier. popped a little easy start in and fired straight up. Definitely need to look at glow plugs/fuse then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts