VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my day started as normal. I get to work and that started off as per. Then halfway through the day get a call off the misses who's heavily pregnant say she having pains. So I rush home from work and take her down the Hosp to be checked over. After spending 5 hours waiting for them to tell us all is well we went home. That's when it really went wrong. On my way home the van died. She just cut out I tried to start her back up but she wouldn't fire. After a good few attempts the battery died. So called the aa who took an hour to come out. He put a charge pack on and she fired up straight away. I thought that was strange. So after some further inspection with the aa guy he noticed one of the leak off pipes of the injectors was leaking quite badly. Directly below this was the starter solenoid and wire that was wet with fuel. So we thought that may have caused the fuel pump not to work. Anyway he fixed my leak off pipe and off I went. 15 mins later she died on me again this time on the m4. I tried again to start it but she wouldn't fire again. So I called the aa again who took 2 hours this time even though I was on the hard shoulder. They could not attempt to fix it at the side of the motor way as it was dangerous so they recovered me home. Did not get home till past midnight. I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge may be able to help me out.I'm pretty sure there's no immobiliser on it and I know there's no 109 relay. I've had a look at the wiring well at the side of the motorway and the feed wire to the pump solenoid looks dodgy. So my plan tomorrow run a 12v feed from the battery to the solenoid and see if that fixes the issue. Was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on what it could be. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try a straight live to the solenoid if it works and there's no power coming from the original wire then I'm assuming it would be the ignition switch. Would that be right?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get a pic shortly mate. From what I can see it has no immobilizer fitted to the pump just 1 straight live feed wire. Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I just put a fully charged battery on her and she didn't start. I noticed tho glow plug light failed to come on. So I checked the fuses and number 15 was blown. Replaced this and brum she fired up. Now I know I was swapping fuses over last night while I was waiting for the aa guy. I didn't have the best of light so I think I may have swapped out the fuse with one of the other ones as there was another blown one in there. My question is now does that fuse control the solenoid and why does it keep blowing :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update. I tested the feed to the solenoid with a multimeter and with the fuse in she gets power and with the fuse out she does not. So I seemed to have found the starting issue. What I don't know is why it keeps blowing this fuse. Think that's going to be my headache

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that mate. I've got the feed wire off the solenoid and tbh its not great has a join on it and it was quiet wet. I got a small oil leak also from the rocker cover leaking down in that spot so that's not helping. Think I'll renew this wire insulate it and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts