VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i bought the van 7 months and 7000 miles ago its needed an upper ball joint replacing, I've never known the van without knocking and without an increasingly annoying and unbearable squeak. Various work-arounds have been implemented whilst i tried to coerce my bro-in-law into doing a job he really didnt want to do. Wanging loads of grease around it cured it for about 25 miles, upgrading my speakers to some of those nice Pioneer jobbies proved slightly more fruitful but even they could not completely drown it out, playing Radiohead at full volume was the best solution as its not entirely distinct as to which squeek was revererating from where. But today, for the first time ever in my T4 owning life I drove home to the sweet sound of silence.
A word of warning though, to the uninitiated or over confident (myself really) those suckers don't come out without a fight. We nearly gave up, after more than an hour of blatting the thing with a lump hammer it was still absolutely stuck tight and B-in-Law Simon was starting to make mention of bolting it back together and sending me off to a main dealer, a thought that gave me a very uncomfortable twinge in the wallet department. We had tried blow-torching it, freezing it, blatting, blatting and more blatting. Eventually, with a scaffold pole wedged firmly under the wishbone and just a few hits prior to him throwing in the towel for good, a feint break appeared between BJ and wishbone, a handful more bone-jangling blats and the offending BJ was on his workshop floor. Thank heavens above that we had the facilities of a proper workshop with a lift, and that i didn't attempt this job by myself back home in the street. The van would have been off its axle stands within a couple of hits, probably with me underneath it.
Other things i learnt today (i got my wrists slapped) are that you shouldn't over tighten your sump bolt and definitely not the oil filter.
It could have been a very bad day. But at the end of it I'm happy, lucky and better educated.

B

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would love a rattle free van, it drives me mad. I think i am going to strip out the back and start again as this appears to be the only way to get to the bottom of the rattleing issues in mine.:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts