VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else tried and succeeded in removing the hex bolts from the rear barn door hinges.................

I have just spent half a day and blunted 3 drill bits trying to drill out the hex nuts that have the allen key holes rounded off (not by me I bought a set of rear doors off ebay and most of the hex bolts are rounded off).

any one got any ideas how to get them off?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Mine came out OK when I did em. I suppose a hefty chisel and hammer should do it if you've not drilled all the head off.

·
6,671 Posts
Anyone else tried and succeeded in removing the hex bolts from the rear barn door hinges.................

I have just spent half a day and blunted 3 drill bits trying to drill out the hex nuts that have the allen key holes rounded off (not by me I bought a set of rear doors off ebay and most of the hex bolts are rounded off).

any one got any ideas how to get them off?
High quality HSS drill bit seems the only option.

Going to be doing mine next week too as manged to reverse into something the other week :* and also got replacements to fit.

·
Registered
617 Posts
the size of the bolts, do it the same way as you would drill a lump of metal,as you have to centre first use a big drill then back to a small pilot drill...say 3mm then up to.... say 5mm, then the bigger drill, don,t use a cordless as not strong enough, and make sure you keep it square to the bolt, the other way is try a centre punch on the side of the bolt to maybe loosen it, NB dont over drill screw thread if its a captive nut,

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently changed my doors and got stuck with the bolts, took the van a local garage and they used these bolt removers on the subborn bolts, they slid the remover over the bolt and one hit with a hammer to grip the bolt and a turn with a ratchet and they were loose, saves soo much time.. I went out and bought a set. Also order a new set of bolts from vw and the job is done.

Highly recommended and they work too....

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=121815

Irwin Bolt Grip Fastener Remover Expansion Set 394002

Bolt grip for removing rounded , rusty or painted bolts.

Unique reverse spiral flute design securely grips and removes stubborn nuts and bolts.

Can be used with a hand ratchet 3 /8in square drive and has hexagon flats for use with a spanner or adjustable wrench.

Universal lobular design for all types of fasteners.

5 piece set 5 /16in , 10mm , 13mm , 11 /16in and 3 /4in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts