VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have not got my van yet but currently got a Nissan with a tailgate which I like ,are there any advantages to barn doors, it seems most campers for sale have this set up, I'm not sold on the idea but might have to get a van with them, what do you like about your barn doors ?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
as much as the tailgate would seem better with the most obvious being a rain shelter there are a few advantages with barn doors, eg, loading the van is easier, opening one door when parked up so all your gear does not spill out or when camping you have a privacy screen if using a porta loo, if you have a roof rack with ladders easier access. The good thing about the tailgate is window wiper and defrost but i suppose best weigh up the options first.... T:

do a search, there are a few threads on this subject :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I debated this also. I preferred (at the time) a tailgate. But thought by having barn doors it would be easier to put the kayaks on the roof. Which it is, so.....In the end we bought one with barn doors and to be honest I now prefer the look of them I:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know it isn't a practical reason but tailgates look much better. No unsightly hinges and the lines of the van look right.

I have only used a tailgate so I wouldn't know about the practical benefits of doors. I know my tailgate is a pain in the if I park too close to a wall or another car H:

T5's are cool whatever tho T:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ordered one with a tailgate, it arrived today with barn doors. I am a little edgy, and got a hefty discount. However, just been speaking to wifey who hated the tailgate; it is heavy, cumbersome to open and close in any space, and she believes we dented our previous one due to pushing it so hard to close. The jury is out for me, but I am surprised how easily I agreed to have the van.

·
Registered
100 Posts
4 big IF's for you to consider.

IF you use your van for work and play, and IF you have occasions when your van is loaded by a forktruck.

IF you have a tailgate you will be saying IF only I had barn doors.

:D

damhikt :(

·
Registered
361 Posts
depends what you use your van for Iam a builder with van with barn doors brilliant for getting all your gear off roof from back of van,
I got a sportline with tailgate on order fook knows how ill get the stuff off the van then haha

·
Registered
925 Posts
I had a T25 with tailgate, a T4 with barn doors and now a T5 with tailgate. Each has their pros and cons. Better rear visibility with a glazed tailgate than glazed barn doors.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Apart from personal preferences re looks, it really does depend on how you are using the van. The right answer is the one that is right for you!

I have a tailgate and with my full camper layout I haven't had any occasions when I thought I wish I had barn doors. You do need a little more clearance at the back but you just park accordingly. Park right and loading the van is easier with a tailgate....only one door to open :D I have found the rain protection provided by the open tailgate useful at times. The visibility benefits of a glazed tailgate are useful too.

I carry surfboards on the roof and just stand on the passenger/driver side steps and the rear wheels to fasten stuff on although being tall helps. If needs be I use the sliding door step to help lift things up and down. Not difficult but it's not something I'm doing day in day out like a trade would.

Was there a fault with some barn doors with the common crack. Some threads on here about it but I don't know the detail.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the imput fella's , what I get from the jist of this thread is that it doesn't matter to much if I end up with barn doors,my perfect camper would have a tailgate but we don't always get what we want eh!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree with everyone above, I did love my tailgate but it was heavy and I tended to use the side door much more, now I have solid barnies and I love em for ease of use, was a bit dissapoited to lose the weather shelter of tailgate but now have a kiravans barn door awning and it seems as good if not better for sheltering under while cleaning bikes or whatever, T:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts