VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

About to fit my barn door spoilers and have bought some Puraflex40 bond for the job. Read that it's just as good as tiger seal and bit cheaper.

I would rather do this without drilling through the doors. Have many had any issues with just bonding? Also, when lining them up in place, I am seeing a slight gap so they are not 100% flush and makes me think I will need a fairly thick bead of sealant in the gaps between the rubber gasket I have fitted to each of them for them to be in contact with the door and seal properly

Any advice would be appreciated

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,241 Posts
Hi All

About to fit my barn door spoilers and have bought some Puraflex40 bond for the job. Read that it's just as good as tiger seal and bit cheaper.

I would rather do this without drilling through the doors. Have many had any issues with just bonding? Also, when lining them up in place, I am seeing a slight gap so they are not 100% flush and makes me think I will need a fairly thick bead of sealant in the gaps between the rubber gasket I have fitted to each of them for them to be in contact with the door and seal properly

Any advice would be appreciated
I fitted a PU tailgate spoiler without the screws or gasket just using Pureflex 40, it will take up reasonable gaps & can be cleaned up & smoothed off with white spirit to make a nice blend & it's solid as a rock. Personally I'd bin the gasket if you're bonding them on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah okay, thanks. So perhaps I should remove this rubber gasket? Thought it was needed to help with fit and perhaps stop vibration

Did you just go with a normal amount/bead of puraflex?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,241 Posts
Yeh, you can either put enough on to squeeze out where you want it so show, or go round the gap a day or 2 later. I think I went all round the edge & zig zagged across the middle . Cleaning up can get a bit messy so arm yourself with plenty of paper towel and some white spirit. Pureflex takes ages to go off so you don't need to rush, unlike Tigerseal & some of the Sikaflex which go off too fast for me. You might want to put some marks where it's got to go to make alignment easier when it's covered in goo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again. will be trying this later on. As I mentioned, I added the sticky backed rubber gasket that came with these spoilers which goes around the edge. Not sure if this is needed and whether I remove and just add puraflex around the edge where it is instead.

The gap is only really visible (and small) when looking up at the spoiler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts