VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ive just bought some barn doors with windows fitted
only problem is they are black and i have a yellow van.

How do i go about taking the windows out ive had a search and found some stuff on fitting but not a lot on removing.

What tools would i need and where can i get the fitting stuff ie the glue and seals?

Does any body fancy doing it for me lol
Thanks Ian

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
what do you want to take them out for ?? if its for painting then its easier/cheaper to mask them up before paint as the windows are bonded (glued) in place and you would have to remove window seals which arent re-usable then cut the windows out and re glue back in etc
maude on here has removed his seals and left them off after paint and thay dont look too bad at all

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi ive just bought some barn doors with windows fitted
only problem is they are black and i have a yellow van.

How do i go about taking the windows out ive had a search and found some stuff on fitting but not a lot on removing.

What tools would i need and where can i get the fitting stuff ie the glue and seals?

Does any body fancy doing it for me lol
Thanks Ian
If you go to any windscreen company they will remove them for you I have just had mine out to paint the van.
Most people want dark tinted windows seems strange why you are removing them.
Also if they are tinted with film and not coloured glass you should be able to remove the film with a heat gun with the windows in place.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent got any windows in my yellow barn doors
so i want to take the windows out of the black doors which are damaged and fit them in my yellow doors as they are good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took some out recently for some doors i'm preparing for paint.
I cut the rubber seal and removed it. I used some thin stainless wire i had kicking about. Push one end of the wire through the bonding (quite a faff on the first go) Attach some blocks to each end and saw it through like a cheese wire. Careful not to cut in to the paint. Trim any remaining bonding from the glass with a scalpel.

The wire work hardened and snapped a few times but i had plenty.
I think there are special tools for the job, but i'm too tight so made do with with wire.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you clean the back of the window with any thinners or something to make it smooth or was the scalpel enough for when you put the new bonder on ?
Also where did you get the bonder and new seals from and how much where they?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You've got me there, I've not gotten that far yet!!

From what I've researched so far, I will be buying new seals. The part numbers can be found at vagcat.com. I think they could be about £35 each!! but don't know for sure.

As far as the old bonding, i'm under the impression that there is a reactivating solution that needs to go on before the new stuff to ensure a good adhesion.

I'm sure someone will give you better info soon. Let us know how you get on!!

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
A bit of old bonder left on the glass won't matter, just trim it close to the glass with a blade.
Most bonders need a primer, some now do a primerless bonder while some have a seperate primer for the glass and metal, just check when you buy the bonder.
Clean glass and panel with some degreaser or somethin similar as long as it doesn't leave a residue else you'll be bonding your window to the residue.
If the bonder you buy doesn't have a 'V' shaped opening in the nozzle then trim it to get 10 to 15mm 'V' so that when you apply the bonder you get a triangular bead, this will help ensure definate contact between glass and bonder without having so much bonder that it oozes out the sides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts