VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seals have perished on the barn doors of my T4... I read a post on here the other day that mentioned you can just pull the seals out, they're just there for aesthetics and aren't needed. I also read that a couple people did just that and basically their windows fell out when the door was slammed shut.

So, who's removed the rubber seal from around their barn doors? Any problems??

I'm keen to do it and was thinking of going round the gap that'll be left with some Tiger Seal...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
yep they just pull out as they trap water in there and rot dont bother to re seal better to leave the gap to aid drying out the seal is purely a gap filler
same on windscreen as well they rot because of the gap filling trim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet...
The windscreen one's interesting, I've a few little spots of rust around it that would be made a lot easier to treat if the seals weren't there. Same deal is it, they just pull out??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a go at the barn doors, got about a third round on each of them before the seal snapped as it was glued right in. Looks fiddly to get going again, chipped glass in 1, 2, 3...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that was fairly straight forward... bit of Stanley action and we're done. Plenty of stinking feral water in there!
Thinking I might need to fill it though, white van with barn doors see...

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are thinking of filling, i would advise new trims instead.

I've always felt that the centre edges become a bit vulnerable to being caught with something hard enough to pop the window. The edges are the weakest point on a toughened window. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah after seeing it without trims I'm thinking of getting new ones.
Going to be an absolute 'mare to do though, the old ones were pretty tightly glued in, I had to cut most of them out

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have fitted a piece of black plastic trim where the two door glass meet. I found it in my garage when I moved in to my house. It came in a roll and I can only assume it is designed to put down the side of your door to stop you damaging them on walls or other cars in car parks. Works well and way and in my head it protects the vulnerable corners of glass and also fill the gap between the two doors nicely so it looks more like one piece of black glass. It is a bit like what you could use to grip pieces of paper together and prise it apart to grip them together. Hope it makes some sense"...........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts