VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to create a quick release rain shelter for the back doors.

I used to have the same doors on an old van in NZ and I made one from an old sheet and magnets.

Any better idea or something you can buy.

I am looking at a Kylam side awning, but still leaves me open at the back. It would be nice to have shelter over that end also.

Cheers
Mac

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
LOL - great minds and all that......

My plan is fairly simple - make a bar (aluminium more than likely) the same width as the doors in the open position with an attachmnet device on each end.

Simple way would be a rubber 'sucker' - or even spring loaded rubber foot. Or a small U shape to hook over the doors.

Then you need the material - a simple rectangle with a piece that sits at 90 degrees around three edges (over each door and along the rear most facing edge) with more rubber suckers (or even poppers, if you want a more permanent shelter) to fix to the roof...

Et Voila..........

Been done on the side doors of a splitty - easy as.....

No doubt someone will now make these and sell them at a tidy profit...... I:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Im currently designing an awning for a tailgate...

the benefit with the tailgate is that the awning can hang inside the dimensions of the tailgate without the risk of water flowing around the edge of the fabric and making the carpet and ply lining or any electrics damp.

I have 2 old parachutes and an old canvas tent - Im just experimenting at the mo, with the lady's help - she has a sewing machine and makes some funkay clothing!

watch this space for a workable design T:

If you plan on doing it on a barn door I'd make sure the material hangs over enough to prevent any rainwater flowing inside the doors - sorry if this seems patronising, just one of the challenges I was trying to design around.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I've been toying with this idea since I had my splitty, but never got round to it.

I reckon the material (nylon tent fabric or even a Goretex type would cost next to nowt) and the support should be easy enough - like you say though, the stopping any influx of water bit is where it gets interesting........ :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
surely a tarp with those mini bungees to secure to the bottom of each barn door. Ah, but I see - the problem is to stop water coming down off the roof under the tarp strip. Stretchy rubber perhaps?
Really like the idea of a bar to keep the doors open though - bit like one to hold up your shower curtain... Hmm.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
There is one of the T5 members on here that has a shelter that zips into the rear hatch.
There are two zips that run round the inside edge of the hatch.
There are then some side pieces that zip in place and peg down on the floor.
This area is then used as the kitchen area.

Maybe a post in the t5 area might gather some help.
Riemo in Germany do one as well.

Hope this is some help as well.
Rob

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great ideas guys. I have an old tent and a couple of poles. They are good workers, but English is not very good.
Sorry.
I thought about the pole perfect size across the back of the doors to hold them open, and have the u hooks to hold in place covered in rubber for protection.

In NZ i used a bendable magnetic strip all the way over the tarp to ensure no water came in from the roof. I then used duct tape to tape more material to create the overhang over each of the doors, with stones (yes I know how primative) to weight it down.

You would need something like that to keep it tight against the roof. I dont really understand how poppers would work???

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Something i wondered about was recycling a gazebo.

I Haven't checked out the standard heights to see if it would work but i was thinking maybe you could park under it and use it a bit lke a "car port"

I Haven't figured out how to stop rain getting under but maybe a combination of magnets/bungees and a play on the sewing machine could do the trick.

This could possibly work on grass but i would still like something for all types of ground.

another thought ......

How do the omnistore type awnings work ? could one of them be fitted to the back of the van ? i think they come in different sizes.

Don't they come with side panels too ?

Daaisy

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have done this.
Solution = Fishing umbrella
It takes 5 sec to put up, you'll get no rain, i use this when i work on my van, gives a bit of shelter from the elements.
Just got to find a way of tieing is down, has lifted in the wind a couple of times.

·
Registered
81 Posts
a mate of mine had an ex BT Transit, there was a thin sheet of metal mounted on rails that held it against the ceiling, this could then slide out into rails fixed along the tops of the barn doors (hope that makes sense) seemed to work quite well

·
Registered
81 Posts
just had an idea, what about a sheet of waterproof fabric, square shaped slightly bigger than the area its got to cover with magnetic strips sewn in on 3 side's so you can open doors, and stick it to roof, and top of doors, thoughts?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of a sort of a sort of waterproof roller blind kind of thing that was mounted inside the roof of the van, except its probably going to fill with water at the van end as its going to be the lowest point.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts