VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Maff,

That was just my idea that I used in NZ. Quick to put up, no leaks and very quick to take down.

I am going to look into the magnets in the UK.

There will be a place that sells them. Then an old tent, a pole. and some no more nails and the perfect cover for your rear.

Cheers guys.

MacA:

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you go to a sign writing shop you can buy the stuff they use to make magnetic signs for vans, its flexible and easy to cut so should be ideal (i'm guessing) T:
if anyone has a go let me know how you get on, ta

·
Registered
164 Posts
I work at a place that does signwriting, il have a hunt about tomorrow, we also print outdoor advert banners, that stuff is really tough and waterproof. might be ideal. I made a windbreak out of it to fit under the van.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Maff,

That was just my idea that I used in NZ. Quick to put up, no leaks and very quick to take down.

I am going to look into the magnets in the UK.

There will be a place that sells them. Then an old tent, a pole. and some no more nails and the perfect cover for your rear.

Cheers guys.

MacA:
The only question i have tho is............................

Will my rear look big in this ????????

Daaisy

I:I:I:I:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I made a temporary shelter one time when we were windsurfing. I used an old piece of tent flysheet that I always have in the van (usually gets used as a groundsheet) which I threw over the top of the doors. I then attached bungies to the eyelets on that to the bottom of the doors and connected bungies together and put them over the flysheet and into the "gutter" section on the actual van around the back door opening and fastened them at the door hinges (can't remember exactly how). It worked ok but as I'd washed the flysheet a few times (to get the mud off it when using it as a groundsheet) it leaked a lot. I reckon if you went for the pole at the top outside end of the doors then sewed a sleeve on your roof material to slide that through it'd be pretty easy to fashion a pretty decent and quick to erect shelter.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If the magnetic sign does not come to fruition.

How about this.

Material - old tent.
Pole - old tent.
Magnets - old fridge. or sign

A sewn loop for the pole with overhang to be able to tie down forward for extra shelter, or a couple more poles for another section. Hooks for over the sides of the doors.

Bungee cord thru a loop for around the inside of the door between the door seal , in the little indented bit. Hooked onto the wheel arches.

A bit over the side heading down to the wheel arch attached with magnetis strip. Other than that its the old magets over the top so you can close the door with only removing the pole and guying it down.

No time now to work on it, but will get round to it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found some magnets today, made a hem in some banner material and stuck it to my van, i think the material might be a bit thick for the magnet as it moved about a bit. I left it stuck on and it was on the floor when i left, it has been bolldy windy today tho

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm lovin this thread, its so blue peter (without the cheating) my latest home made solution is this: After fitting 4 sunroofs to my LWB (wanted more light in the back and didn't want side windows as it's sign written) i realized that on surf trips in the summer i'm not gonna get much kip past dawn (too much light Doh!) my idea was to get one of those woven rush beach mats with reflective coat on one side and a sprung roller blind mechanism and hey presto the perfect solution, the mat is fairly rigid (so won't sag from side to side) but will roll easily, (just happened to be the perfect size too) the shiny stuff will reflect light and heat, and the rush stuff should finnish orf the black out effect (still with me)
Anyway, i took me mat to a local blind place (not visually) and explained my idea, they said may have trouble sticking mat to roller but they would try.
this was over a week ago, they called yesterday and i went in today, not only had they solved the adhesion problem but they'd made it up complete with all fixings, fittings cords, brass thingy's and everything, all for £24 well chuffed H:H:H:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice one Maff, I've fancied fitting one or maybe two sunroofs (sunrooves?) to my van but one thing that's put me off has been the prospect of being woken up by the light coming in. I'd thought that I may be able to adapt some silver screens to fit as they work great on the side windows for keeping it dark but I like the roller blind idea.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good idea, how about calling it the Heath Robinson section ?
I noticed today whilst offering up th blind that whilst on surf trips i normally have a couple of long boards slung under the ceiling anyway,,, these,, er,, would probably ,,er,, maybee block the light out to ,,erm,,a certain extent anyway...Doh! LOL:I:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good idea, how about calling it the Heath Robinson section ?
I noticed today whilst offering up th blind that whilst on surf trips i normally have a couple of long boards slung under the ceiling anyway,,, these,, er,, would probably ,,er,, maybee block the light out to ,,erm,,a certain extent anyway...Doh! LOL:I:
Maff, that's a coincidence, I was wondering about suspending some of my windsurfing kit (board and possibly sail bag) from the ceiling. How did you go about doing it? I know some folks use those giant cargo net things but I was thinking more along the lines of mounting some straps onto the reinforcing sections on the roof and making slits in the ceiling for them to come down through. Any thoughts?:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just use a ratchet strap hooked through holes just below the ceiling. (behind the front seats)
because mines a work van iv'e had to keep most of the back clear for all me cleaning gear,
i built a boot section which takes up about a foot and a half at the back, it comes up & over about half way up the rear windows, keep all my cleaning chems and general clutter here (also got a 10" sub, 2 6x9's and a big ole amp fixed to it so it's not all work & no play)
anyway i rest the tail of my 9' 2" board on top of the boot bit, then wedge a towel between the nose and ceiling, tighten up the ratchet and it holds it in fairly snug
just strapped it in 5 mins ago as i'm orf to devon in the wee hours yeehaa H:H:H:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just use a ratchet strap hooked through holes just below the ceiling. (behind the front seats)
because mines a work van iv'e had to keep most of the back clear for all me cleaning gear,
i built a boot section which takes up about a foot and a half at the back, it comes up & over about half way up the rear windows, keep all my cleaning chems and general clutter here (also got a 10" sub, 2 6x9's and a big ole amp fixed to it so it's not all work & no play)
anyway i rest the tail of my 9' 2" board on top of the boot bit, then wedge a towel between the nose and ceiling, tighten up the ratchet and it holds it in fairly snug
just strapped it in 5 mins ago as i'm orf to devon in the wee hours yeehaa H:H:H:
Nice one Dude, have a good time:ILU::D.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Talking of Blue Peter inventions.

I made an oil rig recently out of cardboard and toilet rolls, in order I could land my wee helecopter (I am obsessed with it since Chrimbo), onto the helpad I made from chequer plate.

I work on the rigs and reckoned with a bit of practice I could get a job in the North Sea. Unfortunately I kill almost all who fly with me, or at least convince trhem never to work offshore again.

I took it out in the van the other day to my mates house, so it can be classed as a T4 Blue Peter invention.

Will post a photo when I get time. :cool:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Talking of Blue Peter inventions.

I made an oil rig recently out of cardboard and toilet rolls, in order I could land my wee helecopter (I am obsessed with it since Chrimbo), onto the helpad I made from chequer plate.

I work on the rigs and reckoned with a bit of practice I could get a job in the North Sea. Unfortunately I kill almost all who fly with me, or at least convince trhem never to work offshore again.

I took it out in the van the other day to my mates house, so it can be classed as a T4 Blue Peter invention.

Will post a photo when I get time. :cool:

This I would like to see H:

For a while I was the only person in our street who had a medieval seige machine on his drive.I:

·
Registered
197 Posts
"For a while I was the only person in our street who had a medieval seige machine on his drive"

So now i'm guessing most of your neighbours have them as well?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts