VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to keep my battery in peak condition over the winter. I have a smart charger which I intend to leave on. It has settings for either standard or AGM battery, but I am not sure which type I have.
The model is Varta RAC002 12V 74Ah 750 AEN
Is this a standard or AGM type? Is it safe to leave smart chargers on all the time.
Hopefully someone could advise as I am new to van life

Premium Member
You don't say what van you've got or if its oem fitted but most Agm(absorbent glass mat) batteries which are totally sealed, nonspill and mantinance free and are used in more modern vehicles to deal with high usage start stop technology.
Haven't got an AGM But Depending on usage i put my starter battery on a smart charger once or twice a month to trickle charge and condition the battery over night to keep it in tiptop condition , but you can leave it on for extended periods because it switches automatically to a mantinance phase once the battery is fully charged. 馃憤
Hope this helps

Registered
I want to keep my battery in peak condition over the winter. I have a smart charger which I intend to leave on. It has settings for either standard or AGM battery, but I am not sure which type I have.
The model is Varta RAC002 12V 74Ah 750 AEN
Is this a standard or AGM type? Is it safe to leave smart chargers on all the time.
Hopefully someone could advise as I am new to van life
That is a standard type lead acid battery. I expect the RAC charged the price of an AGM though. As for leaving a smart charger on all the time - in theory it is fine and if you trust the maker and that it is working ok, it should look after itself. If the extension cable gets in the way, you could always put it on for a couple of days every few weeks.

Registered
As Poffer says i'd be tempted not to leave it on all the while but just put it on occasionally to maintain it.
I take it you are not using your van at the mo ? .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't say what van you've got or if its oem fitted but most Agm(absorbent glass mat) batteries which are totally sealed, nonspill and mantinance free and are used in more modern vehicles to deal with high usage start stop technology.
Haven't got an AGM But Depending on usage i put my starter battery on a smart charger once or twice a month to trickle charge and condition the battery over night to keep it in tiptop condition , but you can leave it on for extended periods because it switches automatically to a mantinance phase once the battery is fully charged. 馃憤
Hope this helps
The Van is a T5 T26 TDI on a 2015 plate.
Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply. I have a T5 T26 TDI on a 2015 plate.
The battery will be charged in situ. Probably will only take the van out once a month during winter
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Carbon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a standard type lead acid battery. I expect the RAC charged the price of an AGM though. As for leaving a smart charger on all the time - in theory it is fine and if you trust the maker and that it is working ok, it should look after itself. If the extension cable gets in the way, you could always put it on for a couple of days every few weeks.
Thanks for your reply. The battery came with the van so no idea of the cost. The charger is Maypole 4a Electronic smart charger

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All
Thanks for your replies. I have another question. Will the Maypole MP7423 6V/12V 4A Electronic Smart Charger be suitable for charging a 74Ah battery. I have read somewhere that it will only be suitable for a 50Ah

Registered
Hi All
Thanks for your replies. I have another question. Will the Maypole MP7423 6V/12V 4A Electronic Smart Charger be suitable for charging a 74Ah battery. I have read somewhere that it will only be suitable for a 50Ah
Not a make I am familiar with, but yes, it will charge any battery. It just means the larger the battery capacity, the longer it takes to fully charge it. Since you are only keeping it topped up, you will see no difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks once again for the replies. New to the world of camper vans so probably many more questions to come. Hopefully, in the years to come I might be helping others.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already another question on battery charging. I am aware that the red charger lead goes first on the positive terminal, but the negative one should be connected to the bodywork. There is nowhere easy to connect to (too much plastic). Is it ok to connect direct to the negative terminal?

Registered
Already another question on battery charging. I am aware that the red charger lead goes first on the positive terminal, but the negative one should be connected to the bodywork. There is nowhere easy to connect to (too much plastic). Is it ok to connect direct to the negative terminal?
Yes, it鈥檚 fine. I always do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts